SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
20,676 Posts
If you are talking about the one that goes into the cam cover, yes, you get a new one with the new kit.

If you don't have the kit you should definitely install it. You should also drop the pan and clean the screen.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
Then you should also go on to replacing each and every hose associated with the PCV/emissions system to get rid of the junk Chinese crap GM put on these cars that keeps deteriorating and clogging up the oil pickup screen....

Just saying.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are talking about the one that goes into the cam cover, yes, you get a new one with the new kit.

If you don't have the kit you should definitely install it. You should also drop the pan and clean the screen.
Thanks, Bob. I think I'm finally ready to attempt to do the pan drop, after research, mediation, prayer, etc., LOL. I have a garage space rental with a lift and tools but I can't find anyone to assist me. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it but I just wasn't comfortable doing it alone. And being jobless, it seems like a lot of things I need to buy when I do it. Thank goodness, this car keeps on going!

So even if I drop the pan and clean the screen I should still install the kit? Can I find the kit at the usual Saab parts sources online?

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then you should also go on to replacing each and every hose associated with the PCV/emissions system to get rid of the junk Chinese crap GM put on these cars that keeps deteriorating and clogging up the oil pickup screen....

Just saying.
Great recommendation! I'm open to any suggestion that will prevent re-clogging. Did you have this done already and see improvement?

· Registered
1,133 Posts
Great recommendation! I'm open to any suggestion that will prevent re-clogging. Did you have this done already and see improvement?
Yes...It has been proven, through the process of chemical analysis of the deposits found clogging the pickup screens, that the substance was deteriorated/decomposed hose material indicating, obviously, the necessity of replacing the hoses to circumvent the recurrence of the problem.

What can I say?:

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes...It has been proven, through the process of chemical analysis of the deposits found clogging the pickup screens, that the substance was deteriorated/decomposed hose material indicating, obviously, the necessity of replacing the hoses to circumvent the recurrence of the problem.

What can I say?:

You can say you've answered one of the biggest questions I've had. (What causes the sludge in this generation of 9-3s?) Thanks a bunch. I love this forum!

· Registered
554 Posts
Thanks, Bob. I think I'm finally ready to attempt to do the pan drop, after research, mediation, prayer, etc., LOL. I have a garage space rental with a lift and tools but I can't find anyone to assist me. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it but I just wasn't comfortable doing it alone. And being jobless, it seems like a lot of things I need to buy when I do it. Thank goodness, this car keeps on going!

So even if I drop the pan and clean the screen I should still install the kit? Can I find the kit at the usual Saab parts sources online?

In your case I wouldn't sweat dropping the pan. Update the PCV and wait till you have proper funds and help to drop it.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
You can say you've answered one of the biggest questions I've had. (What causes the sludge in this generation of 9-3s?) Thanks a bunch. I love this forum!
Glad I could help!

BTW, I loved this part here:

"I think I'm finally ready to attempt to do the pan drop, after research, mediation, prayer, etc...."
I LOL'd, but not out of any disrespect, only out of sympathy because I understand.

· Registered
20,676 Posts
Actually, the pan drop is a little cheaper. If I had to pick one, I'd do the pan.

I think the parts list for the pan would be Loctite 518 Sealant for the pan, generic oven cleaner to clean the pan, an o-ring for the oil pickup and two for the oil delivery tube, some blue loctite for the subframe bolts, and a filter and oil for the oil change.

It's actually a fairly easy job if you have a lift. But, if you've never done anything advanced DIY you might want to have a qualified friend handy.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
Actually, the pan drop is a little cheaper. If I had to pick one, I'd do the pan.

I think the parts list for the pan would be Loctite 518 Sealant for the pan, generic oven cleaner to clean the pan, an o-ring for the oil pickup and two for the oil delivery tube, some blue loctite for the subframe bolts, and a filter and oil for the oil change.

It's actually a fairly easy job if you have a lift. But, if you've never done anything advanced DIY you might want to have a qualified friend handy.
Some jack stands and a engine support beam would suffice if you haven't access to a lift.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
I didn't need a support beam... but the job sucks from underneath (like most).
I agree that, yes, it does, much the same as all things do in regards to performing auto mechanics on your back, but sometimes you only have what you have to work with to make things work, so you do what you've gotta do to.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
After using my friend's shop and tools I just couldn't imagine being flat on my back trying to do this stuff. And to think, I'm considering moving far away from it.
It is not fun and that's being generous...Jack stands are "safe" at only certain heights and seem to be nothing but an impediment to a creeper and I'm not even mentioning the lack of elbow room or the hazard of falling debris, be it from the engine/bay or from your own hand's slip of a wrench.

But, if you're determined, dedicated and persevere, have a reserve of cuss words and ready access to beer, you'll manage to muddle through. ;ol;

Where are you moving from San Diego to, that is, if this post doesn't dissuade you from going?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.