SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Just thought I'd share an amusing story and pose a question. On Monday the car started doing some weird things and almost dying at idle unless I kept the revs up. I made it home, popped the hood and found that the air tube in the hard plastic tube that goes around the valve cover had popped out of the rubber elbow behind the throttle body. Phew, simple fix.

But hey, I bought the pcv kit #6 a month ago, I might as well throw that in and swap out the valve cover gasket so I can inspect the top end. About an hour into the job, whilst trying to get an ancient hose off an old nipple, I put the business end of a pick through the web of my hand and about 3 inches towards my wrist under the skin. No blood came out so I thought I got lucky and went inside to wash my hands. That's when I looked down and discovered my hand was the size of a softball. Turns out I hit a blood vessel that promptly leaked inside my hand. Went to the ER (urgent care was closed), ended up choosing not to stay and wait with 100 screaming kids and people with real problems.

Came home, evacuated some of the fluid, hydro peroxide dunk, and lots of bandage. Got a tetanus shot and horse pill antibiotics the next morning.

So as my hand has been healing, the Saab has sat on jackstands all week with the valve cover off and blood on the rubber hoses. I finally got to finish the job today and installed the pcv kit which is tedious but not too bad. Put the valve cover back on with a new gasket, filled with new oil and tranny fluid and fired her up.

Now there's a fairly distinct loud tick coming from the top end that I'm 90% sure was not there last week. I got out my mechanics stethoscope and have pretty much decided it is under the valve cover under the "S" in saab where the pcv kit enters the cover.

The tick speeds up with revs. You really cant hear it with the hood closed, and I have good oil pressure.

Idea #1 the hydraulic lifter drained its oil puddle with the car's front end slanted up on stands all week.

Idea #2 the plastic upper chain guide in the valve cover was somehow knocked loose, broken, etc and needs changing.

Idea #3 the new pcv nipple is allowing normal noise to exit more loudly in that area.

Idea #4 my coagulated blood mixed with some residual rtv to make supergoop clogging the lifters

Idea #5 I'm screwed and need to pull the engine and rebuild

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Uh, I'm putting $5 on Idea #4 :cheesy:

Seriously though, a lifter might of collapsed and just hasn't pumped back up enough oil. I know when guy's put new lifters in, it can sometimes take a little while of idling to get them right. Also, did you switch to a new, thinner oil?

I had a lifter tap slightly on start up for a bit, but it eventually stopped doing it. Might try letting it idle longer, say 15 minutes and see if it quiets. It could be something else, maybe make a video and post it here as some of the more seasoned guys will be able to tell right away. Just do a proper video. Some guys will make a 5 second video that doesn't really help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts