SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 9-3 base auto

Hello everyone. After about 30-35 min of spirited driving my oil light came on, flickering. I pulled over immediately and shut the car off. I noticed that the PCV breather was torn almost completely off and dangling near where it connects to the banjo hardline on the turbo inlet pipe. Also the PCV nipple connection was blown off, so I reconnected it. Oil level appeared normal but with a small amount of yellowish material on the top of the dipstick, not much but noticeable. It's been 70k since the pan was dropped. I started the car again and the oil light was off, everything appeared normal. I limped the car home another 5 miles.

Could the breather popping off while at speed cause the oil light to come on? Car is sitting without the breather connected, not sure if it's safe to run. Planning on getting a tow to the shop on monday, any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
When the oil light comes on the oil pressure, not the oil level, has dropped to a dangerous level - around 5-7 psi IIRC.

The low oil pressure light coming on can be caused by a number if things, including the following:

1. Faulty oil pressure sensor/switch
2. Low oil level, especially when the light comes on while driving fast around curves
3. Engine oil is too thin
4. Main or rod bearings are worn and not holding pressure
5. Oil pump is worn or leaking
6. Screen in the sump is clogged.

Most of these can't be diagnosed remotely. If it was me, I would get a real oil pressure gauge installed and see what the actual pressure is, then go from there... Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts