SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I looking for a little advice. I have a 2005 9-3 Arc with heated mirrors. Recently, I accidentally bumped (and not very hard) the back of my passenger side mirror. Next thing I knew, the mirror glass was on the garage floor in pieces. When I looked at the mirror housing to see what had happened, it almost looks like the glass just de-laminated. There appears to be a black thick paper/thin cardboard lining still glued to the plastic backer piece. On the paper liner the words "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" are still visible. So here are my questions:

1. Can I replace just the glass or do I have to replace the glass with the plastic backer piece?
  2. If replace the glass only, should I peel the paper with the text off before I glue the glass on or should I just glue the mirror glass to the existing paper?
  3. How does the heater affect the mirror assembling? Do I need to buy special glass or use special adhesive since the mirror is heated?
Any help and links to the correct parts is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my driver side mirror. The glass and plastic are supposed to be one piece, and they usually run close to $100 a piece. I found a guy on ebay that had the whole mirror, with heater and plastic for a really good price, and the mirror was oem. I highly recommend them, if i can find the name of the ebay seller, Ill post it up later

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You can get aftermarket heated mirrors over here for as low as £15 delivered that include the backing, mine has been great :) Surely you have similar in the US, have you checked ebay?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get aftermarket heated mirrors over here for as low as £15 delivered that include the backing, mine has been great :) Surely you have similar in the US, have you checked ebay?
Well, there is this one on ebay. But it is just for the glass, so I am assuming that will not work for me (even though the ebay seller claims it will). I saw these which claim to have the heating element needed. Then there is whole mirror assemblies like this one, which I would rather avoid since they are more expensive and I only need the mirror. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Well, there is
this one on ebay. But it is just for the glass, so I am assuming that will not work for me (even though the ebay seller claims it will).
Those look like a really good option. Are all 9-3s prewired for the heated mirrors? Is it as simple as pulling the old glass and installing the new one with the heating element? I like the idea of getting the angled corner on the driver's side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those look like a really good option. Are all 9-3s prewired for the heated mirrors? Is it as simple as pulling the old glass and installing the new one with the heating element? I like the idea of getting the angled corner on the driver's side.
Good question. I would like to know that too - are all (2005) 9-3s wired for heated mirrors. I would assume so but do not know for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My driver side came loose and I used silicone, over a month and no problems.
Keraj007, you say it came loose and you glued it back on. Did you glue back onto the paper/cardboard piece or to the plastic? Did your paper/cardboard piece separate form your mirror glass? Do you have heated mirrors?

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,521 Posts
My driver side came loose and I used silicone, over a month and no problems.
Same here, well not silicone. I figured I would try out GOOP. Heating element for my mirror works (it's not the mirror glass that has the element, it's the backplate that the glass sits in/on) and solid as a rock. No issues at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The mirror glass came off clean so i just used soap and water to clean back side of the glass and at that time I found out that I have heated mirrors.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The mirror glass came off clean so i just used soap and water to clean back side of the glass and at that time I found out that I have heated mirrors.
I found out tonight my car does too - I decided to check using my IR thermometer, turned on the rear defroster and monitored the temperature. It peaked at 70.9 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts