SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on replacing the engine mounts on my wagon because I have a decent shake at idle/in drive and I’m wondering how I should know if the specific engine mounts are bad

For the passenger mount, I took the elk horn/wishbone off and I can move the bolt back and forth but there is definitely some stiffness present. I can lift the bolt up and down like 2 inches or so, with the black circle thing inside the mount moving with it. Are these things normal?

Is there a way to test the other engine mounts also or should I just replace them?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The bolt in the center of the passenger side mount is moveable side-to-side but shouldn’t move up and down very much so it sounds like it’s shot. When the engine is mounted, there should be about an inch gap between the large round plate and chassis side of the mount. The transmission mount is under the battery. The rear is tougher to get at but the mount for the standard transmission is firmer and fits the automatic as well. The front torque rod is easiest to replace but even when new, the rubber insert fits loosely. Unfortunately, replacing all four mounts (which I did) didn’t solve the vibration issue. It certainly helped and made throttle response feel crisper but the vibration in D or R persists.

Be sure to support the engine with a jack and lift it to meet the elk horn - don’t use the bolts to pull up the engine: you will strip out the threads in the block.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts