SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when I bought my 04 vert almost 3 years ago it had one missing item that I thought rather strange. It came with a blanked out door lock switch on passenger side. I have seen other verts with the switch there so i figured it was just some weird option fitted. Fast forward to now and recently the door handle on that side broke. While I was ordering a replacement I added the correct switch for the locks. I just finished installing both parts. The door lock switch lights up but does not work. I am assuming that this will need a Tech2 to make functional. Anyone know for sure? What options are there for configuration?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I'm certain I've see the unlock switch on other year verts but maybe inoperative? I'm not saying that it should be there but the wiring harness is there.

The owners manual says there is one on each front door.

Also in perusing the WIS in the door and lock section there is this text. Does not exclude convertibles. I would think it a bit strange not to have the switch even on a two door vert. But Saab has done some strange things.

"Both front doors have a central locking button for locking and unlocking. During locking, all doors are locked if the driver's door is closed. The switch in the boot lid handle is disengaged and the fuel filler flap locks (not US/CA). If any of the passenger doors are subsequently closed, they will remain locked. During unlocking of a car for the US/CA markets, only the door with an activated button will be unlocked with the first press of the button. When the button is pressed a second time, the other doors will be unlocked and the boot lid handle will be activated. For the other markets, all doors and the fuel filler flap will be unlocked and the boot lid handle will be activated with the first press of the button. The buttons are not active if the car is locked with the remote control."

Any other vert owners want to chime in?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some searching it turns out that this was a known issue for some 2004 verts. Not sure if any other years were affected.

See this old thread,

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26811

Switch was about $20 and plugged right in but must need Tech2 to activate.

One of the more bizarre construction oddities of the 9-3 I would say.

I wonder what the heck they were thinking when they spent the time to engineer a blank filler to use in place of the switch?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
After some searching it turns out that this was a known issue for some 2004 verts. Not sure if any other years were affected.

See this old thread,

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26811

Switch was about $20 and plugged right in but must need Tech2 to activate.

One of the more bizarre construction oddities of the 9-3 I would say.

I wonder what the heck they were thinking when they spent the time to engineer a blank filler to use in place of the switch?
Worse yet they actually had to fabricate a second blanking plate for the other door, cuz on RHD drive cars the left door gets the blanking plate. Lol. Your car is one of the very early '04 vert's so maybe it had some first run oddities like Euro spec stuff on US cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts