SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked for "Acme Generator Supply" years ago and learned to rebuild alternators. I have three SAABs and am in to process of replacing an alternator on my wife's 9-5 Arc. As you know, it's a bear to do this job. I did it on my Aero last spring and did not enjoy it one bit. I don't want to have to do it again so want to be absolutely sure to get a reliable unit. If I rebuild it myself, I know I'll do a good job. I have the equipment. The problem is that I can't find a parts supplier. The local auto store can get parts but with their markup, I might as well get a rebuilt Bosch unit. If I can find a reliable supplier I might consider setting up a side business rebuilding alternators and specialize in SAAB units.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To rebuild an alternator properly you need to replace the regulator, the diode bridge (rectifier) and sometimes the commutator. The brushes usually come as part of the regulator. I should think that any company that sells such parts would also sell the other things that rebuilders use; like motor varnish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts