SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked for "Acme Generator Supply" years ago and learned to rebuild alternators. I have three SAABs and am in to process of replacing an alternator on my wife's 9-5 Arc. As you know, it's a bear to do this job. I did it on my Aero last spring and did not enjoy it one bit. I don't want to have to do it again so want to be absolutely sure to get a reliable unit. If I rebuild it myself, I know I'll do a good job. I have the equipment. The problem is that I can't find a parts supplier. The local auto store can get parts but with their markup, I might as well get a rebuilt Bosch unit. If I can find a reliable supplier I might consider setting up a side business rebuilding alternators and specialize in SAAB units.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To rebuild an alternator properly you need to replace the regulator, the diode bridge (rectifier) and sometimes the commutator. The brushes usually come as part of the regulator. I should think that any company that sells such parts would also sell the other things that rebuilders use; like motor varnish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used a purchased rebuilt unit - it failed shortly. I took it apart an found a loose solder joint between some copper coils. Fixed that joint and put the alternator back. It failed again after another 5k. Took the alternator out and replaced it with brand new unit. I am sick of replacing alternators on 9-5 and have scars on my arms to prove it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a purchased rebuilt unit - it failed shortly. I took it apart an found a loose solder joint between some copper coils. Fixed that joint and put the alternator back. It failed again after another 5k. Took the alternator out and replaced it with brand new unit. I am sick of replacing alternators on 9-5 and have scars on my arms to prove it.
Good point. That's why I'd rather rebuild an alternator myself. I know that I know how to do it right. I don't know that the guy who rebuilt the rebuilt unit from the parts store did. New units are too pricey and I still can't be sure about the quality.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Good point. That's why I'd rather rebuild an alternator myself. I know that I know how to do it right. I don't know that the guy who rebuilt the rebuilt unit from the parts store did. New units are too pricey and I still can't be sure about the quality.
I’m with you on the rebuild. Some are really good, some not so much.

if you buy a new, OEM grade, alternator though they usually last 100K miles and beyond. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had an issue there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts