SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've needed a new windshield for over a month now and the glass company says this is the hold up. Do you have any ideas when it will be available? I'd have them order it from you if I know it's in stock. I won't ask them to though if it's on back-order with an unknown delivery date(as is the case with most of the dealers I've tried). Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It was too late in the day to get a complete answer back yesterday. I can tell you this. We've had 2 on order since April and another 1 since May. Saab did confirm that the BOs are open and they're getting back to me with a production date.

I've also asked my dealer contacts in Sweden to give me a distribution ETA. I should know more by Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't forgotten. It's part of a list of about 50 items that I'm currently waiting on. I will put a call in first thing tomorrow morning to make sure I have an answer for you tomorrow. I expect I will either have a ship date from Sweden or an official NLS hopeful it's the first option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just got back an update on about 50% of the list i'm waiting on. Nothing on this particular part yet. Will have more tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Final answer on this part for the time being. The answer from Saab is "NOT ETA NO SUPPLIER". Basically it means they're switching suppliers but at this time they're committed to making some. I've been seeing items accumulate BOs and then boom they get made. This happened recently with touch-up paints as they were a priority item. The Touch-up paints it took about 70 days when they went into supplier available to actually get them here in the US. I'd say that we will see them next year. I have 3 on order and I'm upping that to 6 so when they do become available we will have them in stock. If you want to track this make yourself a new project and I will send you an email when we have them in stock.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
And, everybody knows that touch-up paint is such a priority item as compared to a windscreen (windshield).

A buddy of mine works at Bedford Ohio Mercedes Benz, and he told me that they get most of their glass from SafeLite. It just doesn't sound right that MB doesn't make their own glass.

Good luck Jeremy... Ron

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final answer on this part for the time being. The answer from Saab is "NOT ETA NO SUPPLIER". Basically it means they're switching suppliers but at this time they're committed to making some. I've been seeing items accumulate BOs and then boom they get made. This happened recently with touch-up paints as they were a priority item. The Touch-up paints it took about 70 days when they went into supplier available to actually get them here in the US. I'd say that we will see them next year. I have 3 on order and I'm upping that to 6 so when they do become available we will have them in stock. If you want to track this make yourself a new project and I will send you an email when we have them in stock.
Please let me know when they're available if you think about it, i'll check in from time to time....

And, everybody knows that touch-up paint is such a priority item as compared to a windscreen (windshield).

A buddy of mine works at Bedford Ohio Mercedes Benz, and he told me that they get most of their glass from SafeLite. It just doesn't sound right that MB doesn't make their own glass.

Good luck Jeremy... Ron
Good stuff! and thanks!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've needed a new windshield for over a month now and the glass company says this is the hold up. Do you have any ideas when it will be available? I'd have them order it from you if I know it's in stock. I won't ask them to though if it's on back-order with an unknown delivery date(as is the case with most of the dealers I've tried). Thanks for any info.
Did you check with these guys?

http://www.saabusaparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1327
http://www.jimellissaabparts.com/products/Saab/Decor/3214847/4330049.html
http://www.saabpartscheap.com/OEMParts/saab-149/4/4330049.html

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I posted elsewhere. Shipping glass is the worst possible nightmare. Local glass shops can get windshields for Saab all day long. I had one installed in my 9-5 yesterday $400 complete with new top seal (metal u channel and rubber seal attached to glass) good quality PPG glass. And a very good install by my local guy Mike, who corrected a long standing issue with wind noise due to horrible install a few years ago when the (cracked) glass was replaced.

Automakers are not in the glass business; about most things for a car other than OEM stamping plants and robotic welding assembly lines are assembled by JIT components manufactured by suppliers....like brake ,suspension, electronics seats, even bumpers and stuff like that.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates on availability? Half her windshield is destroyed....... this is making me consider a different make for the first time for her car..... she loves Saab more than i do, but im not willing to go through this when i need parts! That's not directed towards you E!,... just in general.... i know its not you're fault...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know if I can have it replaced without that part??.. what is its purpose, and can they just fill the gap with sealer??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know if I can have it replaced without that part??.. what is its purpose, and can they just fill the gap with sealer??
I'm going to go outside the beaten path to try to find you one of these. During the tough times last year we established some relationships with dealerships in Sweden and the UK to acquire some of their NOS items. I will make some phone calls tomorrow morning when people are in the office in Europe and let you know. If I can find one or more I will split the shipping with you. There are likely things that I can bring in that are longer waits here. Certain emblems etc. Let me figure out what my wish list is on this end and make some phone calls.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I certainly appreciate it... ill be happy to help with shipping, even though this is covered by my insurance 100%..... one of the benefits of living in SC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts