SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just received the Parrot MKi9200 (ordered from Amazon) and I'm readying the unit for install into my '04 vert.

When done, I expect to have

1) Handsfree voice dialing and receiving over the car's dash speakers. To answer a call, just say "answer phone" (no buttons, just voice). To place a call just say "Phone: Call Jenn Mobile" (again, no buttons, parrot is always listening for your "magic words" - which are programmable). At that point, whatever I'm listening to (Radio, CD, Ipod) fades to mute and the phone takes over the dash speakers. There is a stereo mike included with the parrot device, which will be routed under the A pillar and placed near the existing default microphone location of the vert.

2) Connections for ipod, usb and auxiliary input are all supplied off the parrot breakout box via 3 cords routed under the center console and directed neatly into the center console bin (under the armrest). The parrot blue breakout box is mounted under the console and this cable bundle is simply routed into a predrilled 20mm hole into the console bin (no need for an aux-in retrofit since its already included on the parrot cord bundle).

3) I will mount the parrot's monitor screen over the head unit's existing screen by blacking out the screen with black static overlay (cut to fit the screen), then using the supplied 3m double sided tape to mount the parrot's pivot holder directly on the screen. The size of the parrot monitor is pretty close to an exact fit of the existing radio's screen. I'm expecting it to look as close to a factory job as possible - might even overlay "Parrot" with "SAAB" just for kicks to complete the look :)

4) Mounting of the remote control on the steering wheel or the handbrake for convenient playlist control of the ipod.

DIY instructions to follow...

Since I don't have Tel1 prewiring (aka, the 375 connector), I will be connecting the parrot leads (there are 8 of them, plus 2***) directly the the back of the HU (head unit, aka radio)

Thanks to alex_c and his informative threads on DIY Aux-In ("I Got Aux Working") and Tel1 ("I Got Tel1 Working!", I've got a head start on exactly which pins on the HU are in play for the parrot leads.

To begin, it helps to see the connection points on the HU. Here is a shot of alex_c's HU in which he's identified the relevant input leads for the telephone connections (see blue, red and green boxes overlayed on the image). These are pins 9(blue), 10(red) and 11(green). Pins 9 and 10 are for the speaker level inputs for routing phone conversations over the dash speakers and pin 11 is for the MUTE connection from the parrot.

From the image above, you can also see the Aux-in connections. Alex has already got aux in leads connected as you can see from the pic. Its the lower 3 (red, green, black) wires. This is where the parrot's line out wires will be connected (there are four line out wires on the parrot harness R+, R-, L+, L-).

*** We will also be routing a pair of speaker output leads from the parrot into the Tel1 connections (more on that later). This will allow us to hear the phone calls over the front speakers.

The final audio & telephone connections would be...

That's the gist of the audio connections. We still need to tap into a constant and switched 12v power source.

At this point, we can add a bit more data to Alex_c's pic above, with the actual schematics of the HU and the Parrot outputs, then match them up. First, a pic of the HU connection labels.

To simplify things a bit more, here is a legend to the head unit's connection wires:

P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Gray
Ignition (+12v Switched) Red
Ground (-) Black
Illumination Brown/White
Dimmer (none)
Power Antenna Green
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Red
Right Front (-) Blue
Left Front (+) Brown
Left Front (-) Green
Right Rear (+) White/Red
Right Rear (-) White/Blue
Left Rear (+) White/Brown
Left Rear (-) White/Green

Along with a close-up pic of the wires from a slightly different view...

The parrot MKi9200 allows handsfree voice control over a phone via bluetooth, it also allows connection and control of an ipod (with playlist control and display on the parrot screen), along with connections for Aux-in and USB. In order to get full stereo output of these connected devices over the Stereo speakers (all of them), we need to tap into the HU's aux input connections.

The parrot has two line out leads, as mentioned before. The full parrot output schematic can be seen below...

But we are only interested in 10 of those wires (4 line outs, 12v constant, 12v switched, Ground, Mute, Speaker Front Left, Speaker Front Right).

So the first thing to do is to connect the Line level outputs from the parrot into the Aux in pins of the radio. Here's a helpful graphic to illustrate what's going on

Now all that's left is to tap power. For that, we have several options. We can tap directly into the HU's power connections, we can tap off the cigarette lighter or we can tap off the center console's powerport. We could also run wires to the fuse box.

Of these, perhaps the simplest is to tap/splice into the head unit's power connections, which, from the graphic above showing the pin numbers, you can see that pin 12 (labeled "Earth") appears to be the ground and pin 16 appears to be the 12v constant and switched. Just need to verify which is which, then splice the parrot's orange to the 12v ignition lead and splice the parrot's red to the 12v constant (battery) lead. Finally, the parrot ground black will splice into the lead in pin 12.

That should be it. You will now be ready for audio and handsfree nirvana in your Saab. Now if we could only tap into the voice and phone buttons on the steering wheel. Anyone seen Alex lately? :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hope you are experienced

, I get scared just watching you do it.Good luck with your install.I paid some genius to install mine and the fringe benefit was the turn indicator noise is no more as well as the warning speed bell when the unit is on.I'd be interested to see how your mounting goes as well .Please share PICS when done

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
, I get scared just watching you do it.Good luck with your install.I paid some genius to install mine and the fringe benefit was the turn indicator noise is no more as well as the warning speed bell when the unit is on.I'd be interested to see how your mounting goes as well .Please share PICS when done
I've installed a couple of stereos in the past, mostly with harnesses supplied by Crutchfield. This is a whole other animal, which is why I've taken time to document my research.

At first I was completely overwhelmed at the seemingly insurmountable task of finding one solid documented method of installing this device. It becomes even more complicated when you have to consider if you are prewired for Tel1 or not and whether you have Aux-in already in play. In my case, I had neither.

For that reason, I'd have to purchase nearly $100 in adapters to make this plug and play and I'd still have to pull the radio for that.

I figure I'll learn as much as possible about what's required, then I'll give it a go. If I can't get it to work like I want it right out of the gate, there's a whole community of folks who've installed these (on all makes of vehicles) that hopefully can help push me through. I'd never even consider it were it not for the work already done by alex_c, italiancousin, saba and others who've shared their results and documented their processes here.

With that said, I'm taking my time to plan it out to the last detail so there's less of a chance I can screw something up when I decide to give it a go :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pics of the dry fit

Just a couple of shots of the dry fit install. The parrot is tethered to the hidden blue breakout box (which is to be mounted under the center console near the ignition switch) by a thin, flat usb cable. As you can see from the pics, the factory look is definitely within reach. The materials, shape, color and finish of the parrot and its wireless remote fit the saab interior like they were made for it. Nice! :)

The parrot monitor
I've got to figure out the best entry point closest to the parrot monitor to route the USB cable. You can see it dangling from the parrot monitor in the pic below. Any ideas welcome. The parrot monitor is mounted to a rotating base that's attached to the radio screen via 3m double sided stick back. I've got a screen protector between the actual saab radio screen and the stick back. In the final fit, I hope to find black static cling to place over the saab screen so that when the radio is on, the display graphics of the saab head unit do not shine through. A slight green illumination of the area behind the parrot will probably be a neat halo effect though. We will see. I don't find any of the information thats presented on that screen very useful anyway, particularly since the most useful stuff is mirrored on the SID. The only thing I can see that I'm giving up is the ability to adjust settings, but I'll do those before the final fit.

Routing the parrot's usb tether
if I could sacrifice a button (perhaps the scan or phone button) with a clean rubber-grommeted hole in the middle or corner it would look closer to stock. Or perhaps if I could remove the button, then route the cable there and reinstall a blank over it, that would be the most stealth. Are the buttons individually attached? Any room behind them to route a small cable?

Otherwise, if I could somehow get some space between the screen and the dash the cord would virtually disappear.

The steering wheel remote (wireless rf powered by a 2032 battery)
I'm very pleased with the location of the steering wheel remote. I've been driving with it for a couple of days now and it feels just right. It sits comfortably in the crevice above the existing volume controls, and it blends in very well. The curve is an exact match to the area it sits in. The position of the thumbwheel is such that my thumb (as you can see in the pic) falls right over it with no effort in my normal driving position.

Navigating the parrot and ipod
Navigating the ipod via this thumbwheel should be near effortless. The thumbwheel also supports clicking by simply pressing down. The surface is sheathed in the smooth rubber with a soft feel (like the back of my Directv remote if you know have one of those :)

So far so good. More Pics to follow as the install continues... (next project is to mount the BA S35s I just received from amazon)

·
Registered
248 Posts
thumb placement

good luck with that ,in an emergency situation I didn't find the parrot to be helpful so I moved it to the Ice scrapper slot and cut out the bottom of the plastic so it would fall to the right side of the key.Also the whole piece comes out so when parked with top down the head unit and the thumb controller are in the glove box
I like where you have the Parrot head now...my installer used the flatness of the wire to fit between
the CD and stereo so the unit covers up the install

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like where you have the Parrot head now...my installer used the flatness of the wire to fit between the CD and stereo so the unit covers up the install
Thanks SS, I'm liking it very much. Can't wait to get the thing lit up :)

btw, what happened to your radio screen? Or is that an overlay?

Edit: on closer look I see its a spider graphic. Looks like a cracked screen at first glance. Where did you get the sticker? I need a black one :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just a piece of paper

tucked in under the screen a cheap small gps for fathers day may fill that ugly rectangle

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found out the parrot supports wallpapers. This will allow me to load up a Saab wallpaper to help complete the factory fresh look :)

How's this?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Now that is cool

sometime tell me how you did that

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Interesting. I would wire it by the cupholder because it is the cheapest part of that to replace.

I just bought a MKI9200 because the screen on the MKI9100 sucks. Does your 9200 screen become washed out when it is bright outside? The 9100 becomes unusable.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm making progress. Slow but sure :)

I've found that the most unobtrusive means to tap into the vehicle's power is at the fuse box located at the left edge of the dash, just left of the headlight switch. There is an end cap there that pulls off (with some force) to reveal a bank of mini fuses.

One of these fuses, number 3, is dedicated to "Hands Free, In Cabin CD Changer and SID". Its a 10 amp fuse. I picked up an "Add a fuse" fuse tap, that I will be connecting to that fuse receptable, then I'll plug the 10amp fuse back in and connect the Parrot's red, 12V battery lead to the fuse tap's butt connector (the blue end in the pic below). Just insert and crimp.

The fuse tap looks similar to this when connected to the fuse panel...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Now the next challenge...

Is to find the proper sized lead terminals to fit into pins 9,10,11 (Tel1) on the radio head unit. These pins take the parrot's Mute and front Left and Right speaker wire leads.

You can see from this photo from the etadyne website, the terminal leads just barely fit into the pin receptacles.

Rat Shack's smallest connectors were too big (wide) to fit. Still looking for the right part there. Stay tuned :)
EDIT: I stopped by "Sounds Great" car stereo shop and told the owner what I was looking for. He went in the back and came back with 4 tiny connectors that look like they will fit. We'll see tomorrow.

Here's a better shot of the leads (again, from the etadyne site). If you want to spend $16 they'll send you a ready made cable...or you can let me do the leg work to get the parts list together and roll your own :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got Parrot Working!!!

Today was the day I finally got the parrot lit. She's not chirping yet (I haven't hooked up the speaker wires or line out leads) but she finally was able to open her eyes for the very first time.

To do it I connected the 12V constant/battery lead from the parrot to the fuse box using the "Add a circuit" fuse tap described above ($3 online, $6 at advance auto parts).

Since the parrot lead off the harness was not long enough to span the distance from the center console (where the parrot's bluebox brain will reside) to the fuse box on the left edge of the dash, I had to fashion a 4' run of wire and connect it between the parrot 12v lead and the fuse tap. I connected the wires together via butt connectors (I had extras from my Boston Acoustics S35's that I just installed last week).

The fuse I tapped was the #3 slot which according to the manual is for "hands-free; CD changer - in cabin; SID".

It started raining pretty heavily before I was able to hook the line out and tel speaker leads to the head unit, so I'll tackle that in the morning. I was able to pair my phone to the parrot pretty easily. I'll transfer my contacts next to enable voice dialing by name.

I was able to route the microphone neatly behind the drivers side A pillar and down through the fuse cover, under the steering wheel and over to the parrot bluebox.

I was also able to run the parrot's cable bundle (with aux-in, usb and ipod 30pin connector) from the parrot box along the center console channel and back to the center console bin. I popped out the coin holder rubber and routed the bundle head through, then neatly closed back the coin holder, leaving only a small bump where the cable goes under the coin holder. For a dry fit, it looks pretty clean to me :) Pics to follow.

Almost there :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm pretty impressed on this one. Seems like a good install so far. Curious to see how the whole system turns out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sometime tell me how you did that
Its not as easy as it should be perhaps, but pretty straightforward if your phone can send a pic via bluetooth.

First, you'll need a 72dpi jpeg file sized 320x240

Next, you need to transfer the pic to your phone or bluetooth device.

Finally, you will transfer the wallpaper pic to the parrot like so:

If you want to customize the Parrot MKi9200 wallpaper, you have to send a picture via Bluetooth.

Note : It is impossible to transfer pictures to the Parrot MKi9200 using a USB flash drive.

1. Make sure the Parrot MKi9200 is set so that it is visible by all Bluetooth devices. To do so, press the jog wheel and select Settings > Bluetooth > Visibility.

2. Press the jog wheel then select Settings > Display > Wallpaper > Customize > Add. > « Waiting for a picture is displayed on the Parrot MKi9200.

3. From your Bluetooth peripheral, send via Bluetooth the image you want to display on the Parrot MKi9200.

Refer to your device documentation for more information about sending photos via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm pretty impressed on this one. Seems like a good install so far. Curious to see how the whole system turns out.
Thanks! I'm taking it really slow as you can tell. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible and have a backup path for anything I do.

Its been extremely hot here in Birmingham the last few weeks. That, plus the fact I don't have a garage to work in, has limited the time I can spend doing the install work. I expect that once I get everything mapped out, including a parts list for others to follow, I can put together a step by step that can be done in under an hour start to finish (hopefully you have a comfortable climate controlled garage to work in though :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bummer, no sound on first attempt.

I hooked the parrot line out leads to pins 3 and 4 of the head unit as in the diagrams. However, I'm not getting sound of the speakers.

I thinking that I've either got a loose connection or pin 10 must be connected to ground in order for Aux to function. I've got the parrot's lone ground wire connected to the cigarette lighter's black ground wire. I'm going to first double check that connection to make sure its connected and if so, I believe my next option is to remove the ground from the cigarette lighter and place it on pin 10 instead.

If anyone reading this has any advice please chime in :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm persistent if anything. I'm going to figure this out.

I've read on the parrot forum that someone was successful at connecting the two positive line out leads to the left and right aux pins (one to each) and then splicing both negative line outs to the ground pin of the head unit.

I suppose that's worth a shot. Any input?

Reference: See the post on the linked thread by bod.

Here's what he's done:

Connected the parrot's Red+ line out to the right channel aux pin (pin 4)

Connected the parrot's White+ to the left channel aux pin (pin 3)

Connected both negative line outs from the parrot to the ground pin of the head unit (pin 10)

My other alternative (assuming something has to be connected to pin 10 to make aux work) is to splice a wire off the parrot ground wire (that I've currently got spliced into the cigarette lighter) and connect it to pin 10. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An update. I got sound (partially)

Some progress. After following the hookup described in the post above (red positive to pin 4, white positive to pin 3 and both negatives spliced to the ground pin), I was able to get mono sound (sound only comes out of right side speakers, both front and back speakers are active, but only on one side.

With the volume low on the parrot and high on the saab, I get lots of noise out of the left front speaker. If I turn the parrot volume up to near max, and turn the saab volume down, the sound is pretty clean, but again, only out of the right side, no sound out of the left side speakers.

I also tried switching the aux leads (I put the red+ to pin 3 and the white+ to pin 4) the sound is simply switched to the left side speakers.

Any ideas? I know I'm real close at this point :)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts