SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my previous 9-5 I had an issue with the parking sensors. I was told that if one sensor is inoperative then the whole system stops working leading to the warning on the SID. I found out which one was causing the problem and hey presto, they all started working.

Now on my current 9-5 I have parking sensors that just don't seem to be up to much. They only pick up objects when they're quite close and from some angles don't seem to pick up anything at all. Keeping in mind the 'one out, all out' nature of the sensors is it possible that their performance deteriorates? But if the above is true and one or two are faulty surely they'd all stop working?

Possibly related but the one on the NS edge doesn't seem to be the correct type. Rather than being round it has a squared off top and bottom. But again, if this one was faulty surely they'd all stop working?

*sigh*

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
What TECH2 says about sensors?
Round and squared are same, difference is shape.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Mine only work when it's really hot outside.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
You really need a Tech II to see what the SPA module is actually reading, and possibly if it has any error codes stored.

I'm not looking at WIS, but I assume that their troubleshooting procedure for SPA involves much use of a Tech II.

With manual transmissions, it's worthwhile to check that the backup lights are on when the car is in reverse. If the switch fails, then the lights aren't on, and the SPA isn't activated. This should not be an issue with auto trans, as I assume the SPA is informed via the bus that the car is in reverse.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Mine as well. What Is the deal with that? I thought it was a coincidence.
OMG! I thought it was just me lol. I have no idea why it's like that. I've checked all the wiring, everything seems to be okay. It's just the heat that activates them or something.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine only work when it's really hot outside.
Mine as well. What Is the deal with that? I thought it was a coincidence.
OMG! I thought it was just me lol. I have no idea why it's like that. I've checked all the wiring, everything seems to be okay. It's just the heat that activates them or something.
lol bizarre! I used to have a Volvo where they were on all the time if it was raining but only working when it's hot is a new one on me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really need a Tech II to see what the SPA module is actually reading, and possibly if it has any error codes stored.

I'm not looking at WIS, but I assume that their troubleshooting procedure for SPA involves much use of a Tech II.

With manual transmissions, it's worthwhile to check that the backup lights are on when the car is in reverse. If the switch fails, then the lights aren't on, and the SPA isn't activated. This should not be an issue with auto trans, as I assume the SPA is informed via the bus that the car is in reverse.
Hmm. I'll have to find someone with Tech2. It is an auto and no problem with the reverse lights.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Rich the park sensor with the racetrack shape face is pre-2005 and apparently they're not exchangeable. I sometimes get the constant tone on my 2004 when I select reverse but haven't related it to weather conditions or anything else.

It doesn't happen often enough for me to be bothered to remove the bumper to check wiring (its an estate). I had it Tech 2 interrogated and two of the sensors were reading incorrectly but next day it worked fine.

Incidentally, when it is misbehaving and giving the constant tone, all four sensors were ticking. One sometimes hears that the faulty one doesn't tick - not so.

Also, if it does give the constant tone, you can shut it up (for that event only) with the clear button on the SID after the "PARKING ********" (I can't remember what it says) shows in the display.

I fitted a set of non OEM sensors for a guy with a 2006 a while ago. As far as I know they still work. I see on ebay there is a set from Germany for 35 euros which tempts me but they're probably not made there!

Doug

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Doug.

The one with the squared off top and bottom is an annoyance more than anything. Just doesn't match the other three!

I don't get the constant tone unnecessarily, I just get very little warning of an object. Even something as large as a parked car behind me goes from no tone at all to a very rapid tone/constant tone as if I'm about to hit it.

Is it really a bumper off job to change the sensors on a saloon? I notice the black plastic bump trim is quite easy to remove.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
The one with the squared off top and bottom is an annoyance more than anything. Just doesn't match the other three!
It is exactly same than others, difference is only shape.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It is exactly same than others, difference is only shape.
Thats useful info. Every day's a school day.....

Rich - its bumper off for the estate (although there is another method which seems too complicated/dangerous for me) but as you say, the black strip pulls off on the 4-door.

Doug

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great. Might have a punt on those cheap eBay ones if not to stop my OCD alarm going off every time I look at the back of the car :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have had no luck with the cheap chinese sensors...either they dont work at all or they bleep continously regardless of distance.
I never learn thrown three in the bin on the last year....end up buying used ones which usually go bad again within a year or two...but hey ho still wont pay the ridiculous price for a new one though.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
I use Peugeot/Citroen sensors. They are same, but costs about half.
I do not met any good chinese sensors.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
I use Peugeot/Citroen sensors. They are same, but costs about half.
I do not met any good chinese sensors.
Hey Mimmi, do you have a product number for those sensors?
From what I researched, there's a sensor specific to 2004-05 9-5's. 1998-2003 use a different sensor and Dame Edna's use a different sensor. All the Saab part numbers are different which makes this confusing.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
PSA P/N: 9653849080

Saab uses 3 part numbers, because 2 first are in different shape and last one (for dame edna) is from another supplier.
They are all same sensor.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great. Might have a punt on those cheap eBay ones if not to stop my OCD alarm going off every time I look at the back of the car :cheesy:
Well I did have a punt on the cheap ones. Specifically these. Pleased to say removing the mismatched one was a doddle and the new one works perfectly. And obviously I have three more unused for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts