SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a thicko question but having read a lot of threads on here it has been asked before and not answered. Replacement of parking light bulbs - there's a bayonet connection - manual says to remove that and then change the bulb - very helpful - bulb does not easily remove either by straight pull or turn and pull - the guy in the shop had a go then gave it a miss and left me to my own devices with the spare bulbs . Maybe there's a trick to it - anyone know?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
hi chips and welcome to saab central, there are no "thicko" questions on here just things people either know or dont, you will not be judged :) i assume you are talking about the front side light, as these tend to stick with the heat from the bulb but if you push the bulb in slightly and then turn it anticlockwise it should come out, however if it has stick through the heat you will need to break off the glass and get a pair of pliers on the bayonet

hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you - it's the simple things wot gets you. I'll do a little anti clockwise wiggle with fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope - jiggle wiggle and wriggle didn't shift it - just before I take a hammer to it - there's a metal collar which appears to be part of the cluster assembly - inside of which is white plastic from which comes the central bayonet - there isn't any other clip or widget to be undone/released/ ? The replacement bulbs look like they fit in a holder - just glass with thin wire connections that look like a push fit.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Bayonet style bulbs have to be pushed in quite firmly against a spring in the bottom of the lamp socket, then turned counterclockwise about a half turn and they should lift out with very little effort.

Turning the bulb will NOT work. Push in quite firmly to depress the spring in the bottom of the socket, then twist, then it should basically fall out into your hand.

Different bayonet bulbs often have different pin locations on the sides of the metal portion of the bulb (depth of the pin is varied from type to type to avoid the wrong bulb being inserted).

Bulbs may need to be replaced in pairs to avoid fooling the bulb failure display on the dash. The sensitivity of the display varies quite a bit so some cars can get away with replacing just the burned out bulb. For the cost of the bulb it makes sense to change both bulbs at the same time. in fact, I often just change them all when one goes as the labour to get the bulbs in an dout is almost as time consuming for one bulb as for all of them and the bulbs cost peanuts.

I repeat, the bulbs come out easily you have to push them in the unlock the bayonet pins from grooves in the socket. One you get one bulb out check the bulb pins and the socket grooves and you'll see how it works.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Another suggestion. With the power off, pour a little vinegar on it. The caustic salts build up and sieze the bulb.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Is the bulb socket melted perhaps? This kind of scares me, but the outer-most bulbs in the front corner lights in a friend of mine's new '97 9000 CS are fused to the bulb socket. It appears that either the heat of the bulb (or perhaps they shorted) has melted the plastic right to the the bottom of the glass on the bulb. Needless to say, its impossible to get the bulbs out, two new bulb sockets will be needed.

Have you compared your bulb socket to that of another light in that assembly to make sure they appear to be in uniform condition?

What are the functions of those two bulbs anyways? I can understand that at least one of them is for directional indication, but are both for that function?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts