SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dip and I replaced the rear rotors on my car yesterday (along with a few other pressing things).

We also had a good look at the parking brake system since it has not worked in some time (good thing we don't have yearly inspections ;oops: ).
The connection between the brake lever and the cables was loose, so that got tightened.
The braking mechanism needed to be lubricated ... done.
We managed to get action on both ends of the cable (at the lever and at the brakes) ... but the cable seems to be seized somewhere in between.

Does anyone have any idea where that could be?
Is there someway to lube the cable or is replacement the only alternative?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
SaabScott said:
We managed to get action on both ends of the cable (at the lever and at the brakes) ... but the cable seems to be seized somewhere in between.
I don't understand. When you pull the hand brake, does the cable at the brake end move? Is it just that it's not moving smoothly?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
SaabScott said:
Does anyone have any idea where that could be?
Is there someway to lube the cable or is replacement the only alternative?
I only got one side to work on mine, but I think you can do it. The cable was sticking where the plastic coating was worn through at the first guide bracket (from the brake end). Where it was worn, the cable was frayed, rusted, and stuck.

After I cleaned the rust off with PB Blaster the cable broke free. I lubricated the guide and cable with antiseize. A temporary fix, but for now it works. Eventually I have to rebuild the rears completely and get new cables.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great job, PMI.

Last year I did much the same thing - I must have spent hours freeing the rusted, frayed cable.
A year later - so far - so good..But, if I had to do it again - new cable, without question....
That PB Blaster is excellent..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts