SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my right-side adjuster wasn't doing much so I pulled it off. The starwheel has a threaded section but the other half of the adjuster has no threads to engage, just a hollow cavity. I would guess it's this part: http://eeuroparts.com/Parts/PartDetail.php?partCode=90075044

It doesn't even look like the threads were stripped out. I guess I should get both halves of the adjuster just to be sure?

It's strange seeing an adjuster that's specified for both sides of the car. Usually adjusters are RH and LH. Granted, this is probably because the auto-adjusting is mirror-imaged, so the adjusters have to be too. And I see no auto-adjustment in the parking brake mechanism.

Maybe I need to put a label on each wheel "turn wheel up/down [choose appropriate] to loosen". Or face the adjuster assembly in different directions so that the same adjustment actions produce the same results on each side.

Oh, and the stupid little hole is too small to get a proper brake adjustment tool through. Gonna have to grind down the $5 Princess Auto adjuster I picked up. Poking around with a screwdriver gets tedious after the first fifteen or twenty minutes. (And that's on the left side where the adjuster actually works.)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've have thought the hand brake adjuster would be in three pieces:

The hollow cavity bit that has a slot for the brake shoe, the threaded bit that also has a slot for the other brake shoe and the star wheel.

Almost sounds like your star wheel is seized on then threaded piece.

And YES! Those adjuster are a right pain to get to, see, manipulate what have you.

·
Registered
18,944 Posts

The hollow cavity bit that has a slot for the brake shoe, the threaded bit that also has a slot for the other brake shoe and the star wheel.

And YES! Those adjuster are a right pain to get to, see, manipulate what have you.
And (also) yes... they are the same part... you have to adjust them in opposite directions. Odd.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Darn, you must be right. I looked at the slotted screw and star wheel as one piece, and assumed it screwed into something else. But the star wheel has been screwed all the way down tight against the end of the screw. Must have been when I was afraid the parking brake was making the wheel seize and I wanted to make REALLY sure that it wasn't dragging.

Oh well, I've gotten lots of good practice at disassembling the calipers and removing rotors. Because it looks like I'm going to be doing it again soon enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts