SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear parcel shelf (upholstered fiber board) of my four door '88
Saab is supported by a tube runnin the width of the interior of car.
The shelf is held in place by spring clips that slide onto the edge
of the board and clip onto the support tube. I have not been able to locate a source for replacements. Any help would be appreciated.

Hank

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me too!

I have exactly the same problem (no clips or springs in sight, though) so my parcel shelf is held up by some strategically placed fencing wire.

Does anyone have a picture of the parcel shelf correctly in situ, please? That way I can have a good idea of what I'm looking for and where to put it when I find it.
Cheers
Saabina83 & Ruby

·
4,637 Posts
No picture but, if I'm not mistaken (which is likely), it is held in by clips much like those holding in the rear seat back at their pivot. Have a look down there and see if you can identify the bit I'm talking about.

Open the rear doors (or struggle if it's a 2-door :) )
Tilt up the seat base and lower the seat back
Now look at where the seat back pivots. There should be a heavy baling wire type clip that goes through a hole in the receiver plate, wraps around the pivot and hooks behind the same plate. I think the same sort of arrangement is used with the parcel shelf tube. If so, judicious bending of a wire coat hanger should make up a replacement pretty quickly. There should be some rubber padding involved too to stop rattles. Old bicycle tube is very useful there...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll go and have a look

Thanks Cdaly - once again you're a champion!

I'll go and have a look in the morning (is 6pm and pitch black here now). Funny thing, last night I dreamed about cutting up two wire coat hangers - just goes to show, eh!!

Thanks again
Rosie & Ruby
Saabina83

1 - 4 of 4 Posts