SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a parasitic drain problem on my 2008 Saab 9-5 1.9TiD that draws power from the battery when its parked and locked. When testing with a multimeter, the draw dissappears when I pull the Maxi fuse number 1 in the Fuse box 501(next to the battery). The battery is 1,5 years old and the brand is Tudor. The readings on the multimeter set to 10A is 2.47 when I measure the drain, I am complete novice when it comes to car electricity fault finding, so please excuse any incorrect information about the problem. Does anyone have any suggestion on what could be the fault and what to check? I found some info about the fuses on the following webpage, but I don´t know what to do with that info...
http://saabworld.net/f144/harnesses-fuses-relays-saab-9-5-a-27821/

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
the document linked says that the fuse you pulled is connected to fuses

8,9,10,12,13,16b and 23 in the inside fuse box. put the maxi fuse back in and then start pulling those fuses until the draw disappears, then look up that fuse and see what is connected to it.

In general in trying to find this kind of problem start at the power source and then start following down the circuit branches until you find the culprit

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
From the link you have given the maxi fuse feeds the additional 8,9,10,11,12,13,16b and 23 fuse circuits in the engine bay fuse box.

You can either start pulling each of the fuses to see the current drop or measure the voltage drop across each of the fuses (mv) to see which one is the culprit.

Usual suspects would be 13 amplifier (not turning off) or an internal light 8 maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the document linked says that the fuse you pulled is connected to fuses

8,9,10,12,13,16b and 23 in the inside fuse box. put the maxi fuse back in and then start pulling those fuses until the draw disappears, then look up that fuse and see what is connected to it.

In general in trying to find this kind of problem start at the power source and then start following down the circuit branches until you find the culprit
Thanks a lot! :) I´m going to check this tonight when I get home from work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the link you have given the maxi fuse feeds the additional 8,9,10,11,12,13,16b and 23 fuse circuits in the engine bay fuse box.

You can either start pulling each of the fuses to see the current drop or measure the voltage drop across each of the fuses (mv) to see which one is the culprit.

Usual suspects would be 13 amplifier (not turning off) or an internal light 8 maybe.
Thank You very much as well! :) You both gave me great info on how to go further with my fault-finding! I am very grateful for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps I found the cause of the drain, when I removed the no 9 fuse to the Audio system/CD changer/Data link connector the readings on the multimeter dropped to 0.23 when set to 10A. Is that an acceptable level? I don´t have any CD changer so that can be ruled out. That leaves the Audio system and the Data link connector, any advice on what to do to check these?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.