SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Radio Shack last night and happened to come across a parallel port-to-USB connector. It claims that it'll work just like a parallel port would on NON parallel port computers which *should* make it easier to use the BDM connector for flashing (be simple to use a laptop if needed). It has the parallel port like the PC would have, then it connects to a cable to USB connector. Anyone else try this? It cost $19.95 so I bought it. Once I get the BDM in the mail this week, I'll update how/if it works with the spare ECM.

I know you are supposed to run Win98 with DOS, but I'll try compatibility mode with my Win7 Ultimate 1st, then I'll try DOS Box (emulates a true DOS environment), then as a last resort I'll hookup an old HD that has Win98 on it ;ol;

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Parallel BDM commands have to be run under true DOS, win98 was the last windows OS that had the ability to boot to true DOS (all versions of windows since then run an emulated version within the OS). True DOS does not support USB so you wont get very far with that adapter. John C makes a USB BDM adapter or there is CANBUS USB adapters too, both will work under windows.

There are plenty of cheap laptops on Ebay which have parallel ports and dual booting XP/DOS would be simple enough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
jakejm79
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing