SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm teaching my daughter how to drive (don't even ask) and we're to the point where she has to practice parking. My question is does anyone know how big I should make the parking space? I can't find anything online. I live in Maryland but I'm sure it's similar through out the states.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Initially just go somewhere where there are no cars or maybe 1 car.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i agree with one car. she needs to figure out how to clear the car in front first before she can deal with that AND avoiding backing into a car in the rear. that's how i learned it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To start off, I'd go find just one car and parallel park behind it so she can get the basics down. Then after she's got the general idea of the alignment you can find a place with two cars.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I probably wasn't clear. I'm going to set up two poles like they have at the DMV and have her park between them. I don't know the size of the space they use.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
2 poles? :confused: that's not accurate to a real life situation. my very first lesson and my driving test both involved another actual car. poles may be spaced properly, but they don't help you figure out when to turn (ex: full right when your front bumper is lined up with the rear bumper of the car in front of you).

·
Registered
997 Posts
From when I tested the poles are spaced monstronously far apart. I would use actual cars to practice or cones with poles in them. The best way to do this is to put them around a car and move the car (giving yourself a few feet of extra space). It is better to practice small.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
They really make you park with poles? :lol:

When I did my exam I just parked behind a car on the street, though I guess if I was a real idiot and smashed it somehow the DMV might get sued :lol:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
This reminds me, I took my test in a full size 3/4 ton Dodge passenger van. :p

And passed, the 1st time. :cool:

I think the tester was impressed, (and just a little bit afraid).

The night before, I drove up to the practice area, and parallel parked perfectly several times in the dark just for fun. :cheesy:

I was born with a steering wheel in my hand. :)

Sooo Tinker, you're going to rent a passenger van and make her learn how to parallel park proper aren't you? :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, two poles. Regardless of how realistic it is, it's how the DMV here tests. It's on a closed course, not on the street

·
Registered
248 Posts
dmtinker said:
Yes, two poles. Regardless of how realistic it is, it's how the DMV here tests. It's on a closed course, not on the street
Ah okay, didn't know that. They do it differently here... and so as for your original question, i've got no idea. Sorry:(

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
I'm the master of PP (um, parallel parking that is) :cool:

Stop about 1-1.5 ft next to the parked car that will be in front of you after you PP.

Line up rear of your car with the rear of parked car.

Start backing up straight until front of your car is in line with rear of parked car.

Crank wheel to right full until your (driver) body is in line with left door side of parked car (when looking straight down the road).

Crank wheel full left. Car should naturally position itself proper distance away from parked car in front.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
900t said:
Initially just go somewhere where there are no cars or maybe 1 car.
Maybe cones?

No cars is very difficult,, cause its hard to see the lines.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I didn't even have to parallel park during my test. :confused: I don't have much trouble with it though. My only real problem is the horrible visibility of the C900 convertible.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Mag-X said:
I didn't even have to parallel park during my test. :confused: I don't have much trouble with it though. My only real problem is the horrible visibility of the C900 convertible.
My only problem with parallel parking is other people doing it in the general vicinity of my car. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts