SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I paint the valve cover on a 16-valve? I basically want to clean it up and paint it black again, but want to retain the silver uncoated lettering.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just painted mine a few weeks ago.

I took mine to a bench wire wheel to clean it up and then painted it with some high-temp with ceramic paint. I painted my letters a different color than the cover itself, but I imagine you could take a Dremel tool with a sanding disk on it and go over the letters.

Other than that you could tape the letters up before you paint. A little masking tape, a razor bade and alot of patience will pay off. :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Planning a similar approach for mine (8v) shortly.

Paint it, then using a flat sanding device of some kind go over the stripes and lettering to reveal bare metal. Which you would want to seal with something then or it'll oxidise.

Preparation's the most important part of any paint job though if you want a good finish. Make sure that it's spotlessly clean and oil-free first.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my valve cover and head as well, lucky too, I found a crack on the cover when I was cleaning it. :eek:

The wire brush sounds like an idea, I think I'll give that a try.

On the lettering, I just take a small block of wood and wrap sand paper around it. They used to call what the lettering on the cover has an "eighty grit finish". Basically that what was used to sand it down, 80 grit. If you look closely it is scored quite deeply. But you can use whatever grit you like. :roll:

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Matthew said:
Gently sand down the paint on the raised letters using fine paper and a flat block.

Not sure what you'd use to get the factory paint off though. I hear it's tough stuff!
Nitromors (paint stripper) will probably shift it! It's shifted every type of paint i've tried it on!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Here is my 8V polished alloy camcover easy to do, you just need loads of spit & polish with the odd tin of elbow grease..

to seal it afterwards I used AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish, its been on my T8 for about 1 year now without needing any more polishing to date..

Paul

·
Banned
637 Posts
Nice [polished Cover.. But noticed yer Injector lines are V brown.. they sart white then turn Brown as they Age.. and when Brown are as Brittle as Glass. just 'bumping' can and does snap 'em.
As for valve covers .. why remove the old Paint?? for a repaint at least, there's
No real need, not like it's gonna come off.
I just use Wrinkle Paint.. Red so's I can pretend it's a Ferrari :) Use a heat gun (on low) to control the wrinkling effect for a uniform finish.
Unbelievably durable when cured fully in a few days/weeks.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Matthew said:
It compliments the bonnet rust very well! ;)
Tough room!

Here's the same treatment on a 16-valve -- using the carbon fiber plug cover from Yankton:

I thought about this look for mine, but I think that I'll try to bring back the original shine to the letters and ridges while leaving the other parts black.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts