SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Painting SPG trim panels

I just finished painting the bumpers on my 90 SPG and now I'm ready to start on the side panels. The bumpers turned out really nice.

On the trim panels there is what seems to have been a rubber lipped piece that filled the space between the hard surfaces of the body and panel. Mine is brittle, cracked and broken. I searched the forum and online and can't find anything. Is there rubber channel or seal of some kind I can use there?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Hey Steve,

RM92SPG knows this inside out and backwards.

Some people have used weather strip in place, the foam can often look better, you just place it at the very very top and it makes a nice, good, and clean looking seal.

Failing that, the dealer does have all new strip, it is a bit of coin.

Pictures of the results!!! WHat spray did you use, I would like to do this myself on my convertible instead of paying someone this time.

Take a look at this:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1033793

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
There are probably thousands of them, wich makes finding the right one difficult. Try a search for C.R.Lawence. Its an industrial glass products supplier that has many different rubber channels, they probably wont sell you anything but your local glass shop can get it for you.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks Tom!

The OEM trim weather strip is no longer available at the dealer. I've tried twice. :) I use a black foam automotive weather stripping made by ProForm. I needed to chop it down to a smaller size as it's too wide right off the roll. It held up for well over 3 years on my old '86 SPG. The seals were still good after I took the panels off and scrapped the car! The link in the other thread Woy posted has a photo of the strips.

I'm still trying to get the SPG installation guide in the Tech section of this site, as it took so much time and the few people who have used it said it really helped, but Paul seems to be ignoring me! Can any other mods make it happen?

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just bought some of that strip from Saab Australia, part number 69 14 852. Comes in a 1.1m length, cut to size.

Failing that, I'd try an auto trim shop. I notice plenty of 4WD annd SUV's these days with similar strip placed around the edge of their plastic wheelarches.

Just repainted by '93 900's bumpers; Odoardo grey basecoat followed by OE Standox 2K "Super Matte" clear over the top. Finish is like new!

Drew

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sorry, part number is actually 69 14 352!

Drew

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for the help. Rob's SPG kit guide was great help. I'll start checking body shop supply places for the trim. Rob's foam trim looked like a good alternative, but I hope to find something more like the original.

The styrofoam in both of my bumpers was crunched and the bumper covers were damaged. So I took the good bumpers off of my 88 900 which runs good but has advanced rust problems. Now it has two crunched former SPG bumpers.

First thing I did was disassemble bumpers / air dams and select the best parts from each bumper. I washed the bumper with S & W, then I wiped it with Duplicolor grease and wax remover. You want to do this before sanding so you're not sanding wax and grease. I sanded any rough / scraped areas of the bumper with #150 and #220 grits, depending on need, and even used a razor knife to trim a couple of raised edges of plastic.

Next I used Bondo glazing and spot putty to fill in the nicks and scratches on the bumper. Sanded again, filled again and finsihed up sanding with #400 paper. Then I used a Scotch Brite pad to thoroughly prep the entire bumper finish. Then another wipe down with the grease and wax remover.

One thing I was concerned about was good paint adhesion, since I was painting on plastic. I used Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter which goes on clear and as the title suggests, causes the paint to stick better. I finished up with Duplicolor Trim Paint. I opted to use the black Trim Paint which has a nice satin finish. I think that the original trim color was gray, but my window trim, wheel arches, spoiler, grill and rear license area are black, so I decided to go with black for everything. I don't know why SAAB didn't do the cars in only one trim color, but I like the satin black. The rear license area got a coat of the satin black too, as will the side mirrors before I'm done.

Sorry I didn't take any before and along the way photos. I honestly didn't think it would turn out this nice.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9298&stc=1
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9299&stc=1
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9300&stc=1

·
Registered
416 Posts
Steve,
As said before, check with the dealer first. I've also heard of people using TrimBrite T4002 molding - found at AutoZone (among others). The drawback to this is that they are shorter pieces so you will have a seam on the longer door panels. From what I've seen, the profile is very similar to the original moldings.

---Scott

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sam Elm said:
Steve,
As said before, check with the dealer first. I've also heard of people using TrimBrite T4002 molding - found at AutoZone (among others). The drawback to this is that they are shorter pieces so you will have a seam on the longer door panels. From what I've seen, the profile is very similar to the original moldings.

---Scott
Thanks Scott. I'll call the dealer today and check AutoZone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts