SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into having all of my bumper and door strips painted to match the car. I was just curious as to how other members have done this themselves or if there is anything special a paint shop needs to do to have these done correctly.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I did my own. Sanded, primed, sanded, painted, than clear coated it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my own. Sanded, primed, sanded, painted, than clear coated it.
How are they holding up? And did you get the Saab paint or just use something similar? I haven't seen where you can get anything larger than a touch up tube of paint in OEM color

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
How are they holding up? And did you get the Saab paint or just use something similar? I haven't seen where you can get anything larger than a touch up tube of paint in OEM color

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I ordered 2 large cans in my color, the primer and clear I got from autozone. Color was a perfect match

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
sanded the primer until it was smooth to the touch to get rid of the grainy look. sanded using 600 grit. once it was smooth enough, i painted them with 2 layers of paint, than 3 layers of clear.

end result

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great. Hope to do this after I return from vacation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did this a few months ago, and it's really simple. I was overthinking it, but the whole process is easy. Don't forget the clearcoat, it makes a huge difference to the finish.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yea I'm about to do this. Debating on buying the GS front lip or painting my Linear lip...everything else is GS Aero trim but unpainted front lip....hmmm

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
sanded the primer until it was smooth to the touch to get rid of the grainy look. sanded using 600 grit. once it was smooth enough, i painted them with 2 layers of paint, than 3 layers of clear.

end result

I really like how it looks, though the front molding should be ecodes those painted would look hot and not have the orange reflector.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts