SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about painting the black trim along the side of my 900 body color to matchmy car. has anyone done it? any pics?
thanks

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, but where do people get these body kits from?
i went ahead and painted the black pieces that run along the side on my car, i'm not too sure i wanna do the bumper covers, i'll get some pics and post 'em soon

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are some pics of the car

i've still got some primer spots that i need to take care of but it's getting there

·
Registered
619 Posts
Man, boy does that look awesome! Getting rid of the black makes the car look newer also! I want to get to painting the tops of my bumpers when I get a chance as well as the two lower side skirts, they look grey... :cry: But the black rubber trim on the doors is still nice and black, plus since my car's black, I don't think they'll need painting. Good job you have going there! :p

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
It looks much better with the painted trim. I think it would look even better if you paint the mirror covers, spoiler & bumper strips but leave the top of the bumper black (like the Viggen bumper for example).

If you paint the lower bumper moldings & sills in the citrin beige instead of black it would make the car look like it was lowered 3 inches ;)

Oh, and for the love of God man, you have the Talladega lip spoiler, lose the fogs; they look very akward and they cover that spoiler. :eek:

Just my $0.02 :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
turbojohnny said:
any comments?
Nice car. I like the color matched trim a lot. That gold color is one of my favorites too. Also, you don't see too many lowered with the Klingons either. Nice touch :cool: I thought about keeping mine but decided against it. I would have been more driven to keep them if they were 17" or 18".

..... I gotta say though, I'm not too crazy about the huge fog lights. I'm with hkayssi on that.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the fog lights are pretty retarded, i agree. but the previous owner did that, and he actually carved out the bumper and the spoiler to put them in, so if i take them out there'll be 2 gaping holes where they used to be, i can put covers on them and paint them so it'd look like they're not there, but i don't know. any idea how much it'd cost to replace the bumper cover and get a new front spoiler?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
turbojohnny said:
yeah the fog lights are pretty retarded, i agree. but the previous owner did that, and he actually carved out the bumper and the spoiler to put them in, so if i take them out there'll be 2 gaping holes where they used to be, i can put covers on them and paint them so it'd look like they're not there, but i don't know. any idea how much it'd cost to replace the bumper cover and get a new front spoiler?

A bumper would cost you around $150-$200 but many get them much cheaper than that. The lip is kinda rare to find used. You can find them new for $240. Stay with the setup you have but replace the fogs with something a bit smaller. Those are way too big for the car. ;)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
turbojohnny said:
Filling the holes would be pretty easy. If you took the lights off you could make a fiberglass backing with matting and resin attach it from the backside of the bumber and then fill it with fiberglass resin or even fiberglass bondo. Then you could sand it and paint it. Probably a good Saturday's worth of work and less than $50.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah but fiberglass on a plastic bumper is not a good idea, anytime you even bump into anything it'll just crack. i'll leave it the way it is through the winter, and i'll experiment in the spring

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to hijack another's thread, but if 'glas is no good, is there a recommended product or process for patching a bumper cover?

I've got one with a nearly perfect square hole punched through it from a bleep'ing SUV's receiver hitch.

·
Registered
719 Posts
BustersTurbo said:
Not to hijack another's thread, but if 'glas is no good, is there a recommended product or process for patching a bumper cover?

I've got one with a nearly perfect square hole punched through it from a bleep'ing SUV's receiver hitch.
I've repaired them a couple of ways. One is using a product called evercoat (evercoat.com for a variety of products and videos) and the second using a plastic welder on the back side and a flexible finishing puddy or filler for the front after the crack/hole is repaired. Both require the removal of the bumper cover, some time, and practice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts