SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheels are in sad shape. Very little paint left on them. The previous owner was great with keeping the car serviced, but very poor on the cosmetic stuff. I was thinking about changing the color when I paint them. Has anyone done it and do you pictures of them on the car? I was thinking of a gunmetal or graphite color but can't decide how they'd look on the car. If you have any suggestions on color that would be cool too. Car is painted platinum blue.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You know what I've been thinking of?

Polishing them!

Go to eastwoodco.com you might be able to find a good solution. I saw a 900 T16 on Garaget that had polished Turbo 85 rims.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Polishing means lots of maintenance :cheesy: Paint is easy to take care of.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do look good, but not sure how I would get the center caps on the 15 spokes to look like the rest of the wheel. That's why I was leaning toward painting them. I think I'm going to go with a graphite color and see how they look.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I would paint the caps a contrasting colour, like black or perhaps Edwardian Grey.

The caps on 900 Turbo 85 rims never look the same colour as the rim anyway even when they were new... they always looked off to me how about you?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Here's a pic of my car at a show last year.

I painted my rims "Silver grey metallic" (It's a 93 Viggen body color)

The paint turned out great. I personally think the darker looks better than the factory silver color.

-Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
why not powdercoat them ;) I got a quote for 4 alloys to be powdercoated & it work out very good price it was £100......

any colour you wanted ;)

HTH Paul

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Kaas -- did you paint those? I'm a bit confused -- I thought that you did....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Aye mate! I have paintet the wheels my self! :D The griffen is a sticker, that I have cut'ed out! And gave it all clear paint in the end!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im painting my 15 spokes gloss black this week sometime hopefully... Theres a bunch of brake dust (and other dirty stuff possibly) in all the crevices, so Im wondering what you all would reccommend to clean them before painting?

Also, heres the plan: clean, 1 or 2 coats primer?, paint, few coats of clear coat?

Is this the way you'd do it? And any reccommendations on paint brands? Ive heard duplicolor is good. Also Krylon? Thanks

-Alex

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cleaned mine with wheel cleaner a couple of times, then took a wire wheel to the really tough stuff. Then I scuffed them down with like 400 grit paper. I used 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of color, and 2 coats of clear. They came out pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts