SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone who has got their black plastic trim including the door handles painted tell me how much it cost them? And post some pictures as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Cost me $70...DIY. If you really want to spend the money to have a shop paint them it will probably be close to $300. If you do a decent job you'll be fine. Painting handles is pricey. I managed to find some from a 06 for $200 for the set. Good price to me. Pretty easy to remove as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Got mine done, dude did an Excellent job on everything. Too bad you don't live in Maryland, I only paid $175 (would have been $150 for just the trim and door handles, but I also had them do a custom look on my bottom grill). If you want to see some much better (higher resolution) pics, check here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3833136
Here are a couple of pics tho:

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
By the way, they didn't even have to remove my trim to paint it. A really good paint shop can paint them while they're still on the car. Although it'll always come out the best if they are removed and then painted...

If you can remove the trim strips yourself though, the paint shop usually charges less to paint them. Since I had to get the door handles done too, the shop told me to just leave everything on because they'd have to tape the whole car off anyways. I had pre-taped the grill and gave them a Photoshopped pic of exactly what I wanted done, and they were very appreciative of that. Turned out Great, those guys were real cool:cool:

·
Registered
951 Posts
could leave them on but its better to take them off to have a good job
That's what my guy said...I told them to just paint them on the car if I can save money but he recommended everything be taken off especially the door handles...I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
183 Posts
could leave them on but its better to take them off to have a good job
That is true. Although my guy here did an excellent job with them still on the car, you can't even really tell the difference. If I had the time and was feeling better (have Crohn's Disease and been dealing with issues), I probably would've tried to take them off myself. I did that with some parts on my 1999 9-3 SE, but I wasn't having issues at the time and was able to paint and rotary buff everything myself too. But even little things like trying to remove trim/parts isn't so easy when you've had surgery on your abdominal wall, lol.

Hey glowing626, you're the one with the dual exhaust 2004 9-3 Aero 2.0T that sounds Beastly (on Youtube), right? I'm the guy that was asking you all the questions about it;)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
has anyone tried just leaving the side paneling black? or would that just look like you ran out of money to paint it and left it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got mine done, dude did an Excellent job on everything. Too bad you don't live in Maryland, I only paid $175 (would have been $150 for just the trim and door handles, but I also had them do a custom look on my bottom grill). If you want to see some much better (higher resolution) pics, check here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3833136
Here are a couple of pics tho:

I was planning on doing this. Your car looks great. A much cleaner look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was planning on doing this. Your car looks great. A much cleaner look.
Thanks alot. I don't know what color 9-3 you have, but if you've thought about doing the same to yours, I suggest you do. You won't regret it, and I think you'll be pretty happy with the outcome. The only guys who I wouldn't recommend this to are the ones who kinda like the distinct look of black trim.
My best friend and I have always been into cars (he's got an Evo9), and when he told me "You know it kinda reminds me of an (00-05) Impala with that black trim", I was like "Well I'm definitely glad it's going to be painted nxt week", lol. No offense to Impala's, but this is a Saab.

has anyone tried just leaving the side paneling black? or would that just look like you ran out of money to paint it and left it?
I Photoshopped almost every possibility before getting mine done. I did a couple with just the side trim left untouched. It didn't look bad, but to me it looked a little out of place since all of the other trim was white.
That's on a Polar White though, might look better on another color.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That is true. Although my guy here did an excellent job with them still on the car, you can't even really tell the difference. If I had the time and was feeling better (have Crohn's Disease and been dealing with issues), I probably would've tried to take them off myself. I did that with some parts on my 1999 9-3 SE, but I wasn't having issues at the time and was able to paint and rotary buff everything myself too. But even little things like trying to remove trim/parts isn't so easy when you've had surgery on your abdominal wall, lol.

Hey glowing626, you're the one with the dual exhaust 2004 9-3 Aero 2.0T that sounds Beastly (on Youtube), right? I'm the guy that was asking you all the questions about it;)
Yes that was me on youtube !!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
California Winter...that's Big Bear mountain in the background.
Winter...:lol: dont yall just have 1 season out there? Great pic though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts