SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i want to paint my 04 arc. right now its the expreso black metallic, but i want to paint it like a gun metallic or gunmetal gray. im not sure how much it would cost to paint it. can anyone give me and estimate? thatnks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Call a paint shop and give them the color you want and they can easily tell you. There is a lot that goes into painting a car and what quality you want. First they need to know if you want just a respray without painting the jambs and engine bay, wetsand, trim removed and then painted, any body damage or dings. This is just to give you an idea of what they are going to ask when you call. A lot of places will just call a basic job a base/clear.

By the way your car is a beautiful color, I don't know why you would want to paint it gray. My car is also EBM and when it's all shined up and clean I just love to see that metallic flake pop and the way it kinda changes color depending on how the light hits it. In the afternoon right before the sun goes down is pure showtime.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the top three panels painted on an old car with the sides blended in (so not the entire vehicle was painted) and it cost me around $1,200.00. Mind you, this was back several years ago.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Paint job

I am a professional insurance adjuster and former body shop owner.
A proper paint job with a color change would be in the $4k-5k range.
This would involve trim removal, prep work, painting, wet sanding/buffing, reinstalling trim, detailing etc. HOWEVER a repaint will never cover all of the old color as there are limitations such as engine/trans removal, interior and trunk trim, so there will always be evidence of the original color and you will devalue your car! I wouldn't do it. Just my opinion.:confused:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
What's wrong with MAACO? They have the Ambassador paint job for $499 on sale now! What a deal!

No, seriously though, whats wrong with MAACO? I am going to have my bumper strips painted there. Should I go somewhere else instead? Are they going to screw me up/over?

·
Registered
609 Posts
macco painted my eclipse and in 6 months it was chipping and the clear coat was non existant anymore.

save your pennies and go to a quality shop

·
Registered
425 Posts
a great deal! as long as you live in an area where it NEVER rains!!!! haha
I heard they used "No Smear" lipstick to paint the cars... Only problem is when it rains the paint on your car melts away.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey i want to paint my 04 arc. right now its the expreso black metallic, but i want to paint it like a gun metallic or gunmetal gray. im not sure how much it would cost to paint it. can anyone give me and estimate? thatnks.

No offense but this is a REALLY STUPID idea!! You will in short ruin your car with some body ship crap....there is a reason behind OEM paint centers in the plant cost $100 Million

·
Registered
377 Posts
Many years ago, I had my Mazda RX-7 repainted and clear coated by Maaco...

I believe each shop is individually owned so a paint job may differ depending on the shop.

Their cheapest price usually is around January when their price is half. Make sure you point out every ding in the metal because they charge extra for any body work. If they didn't make a note to fix it, your car will have a new shiny paint job with a ding.

My RX-7 looked great from about 5ft or more away from the car. Up close, their were runs and drips. If you want a quality job, use a real paint shop. If you want something to freshen up faded paint and it doesn't need to be perfect, then use MAACO.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
No offense but this is a REALLY STUPID idea!! You will in short ruin your car with some body ship crap....there is a reason behind OEM paint centers in the plant cost $100 Million
Also, it seems rather expensive, especially on a car worth so little. Maybe it might be cheaper to just try to find a different car in the color you like?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts