SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just acquired my first Saab (03’ 9-5 Aero) and I believe my paint is titan grey metallic. I was almost going to wax it when I realized the paint is almost perfectly satin. I have never seen this in the color swatches and I am assuming that my clear coat has somewhat perfectly come off. Can anyone confirm my suspicions or is this actually a strange paint job. This is very confusing to me. Thanks in advance!
AE37AAC8-647B-4A7D-9693-CCA68573ECDE.jpeg

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
Titan Grey Metallic wasn't used in 2003. Yours is more likely Steel Grey. I bet if you give it a good polishing, starting with a clearcoat safe rubbing compound since there's little to no gloss, and then progressing to a polishing compound, and finally a good wax, it would help to bring back the shine. It should definitely be shiny, so your paint was either neglected or washed with something that was too abrasive. The paint would look absolutely horrible if the clearcoat had failed, and even on a 2003, I wouldn't expect to see clearcoat failure anywhere but the hood, roof, and trunklid. I don't think that's your issue.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Personally I would drive directly to a body shop (preferably one that isn't a chain store and does detailing and custom work) before I would do anything DIY-ish.

99% of the time they will appreciate that you have cool somewhat unique car and would love to help you whether they make money at it or not.

Relationships.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Titan Grey Metallic wasn't used in 2003. Yours is more likely Steel Grey. I bet if you give it a good polishing, starting with a clearcoat safe rubbing compound since there's little to no gloss, and then progressing to a polishing compound, and finally a good wax, it would help to bring back the shine. It should definitely be shiny, so your paint was either neglected or washed with something that was too abrasive. The paint would look absolutely horrible if the clearcoat had failed, and even on a 2003, I wouldn't expect to see clearcoat failure anywhere but the hood, roof, and trunklid. I don't think that's your issue.
Thanks, Jeremy. This one honestly confused the heck outta me as I’ve never seen such uniformity on dull paint. I’ll definitely give it a try. Maybe I can revive the paint a little instead of respraying like I was planning. Btw, I’m also a Jeremy. Haha.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It actually looks like the matte finish that BMW, MB and Porsche are now offering. In the photo it doesn't look bad since it is so uniform.

How is the paint in the door jambs and under the trunk? Maybe the sun killed the gloss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It actually looks like the matte finish that BMW, MB and Porsche are now offering. In the photo it doesn't look bad since it is so uniform.

How is the paint in the door jambs and under the trunk? Maybe the sun killed the gloss.
Yeah I kinda like it. If I don’t get good results restoring the gloss I might just wrap it instead with that satin metallic look. The door jams and seals have the same uniformity. It is uncanny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts