SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I washed the car with dawn dishwashing soap, clay barred, and waxed with meguiars ultimate quik detailer to remove overspray but it didn't. A deer ran into the left rear door and it has had some body work done. I've start to notice spotty patches on the left rear door and quarter panel where there is a lot of overspray and imperfections in those areas. Its also peeling where the window trim meets the paint starting at the A pillar going back. There are 5 areas on my rear bumper that have chipped revealing red paint underneath. I don't know why its red. Is there anyway to remove the paint the dealer put on without damaging the factory paint underneath it? My roof has a small bubble in it i guess from bird droppings or tree sap, how do I fix that? I see little water spots and a few scratches (not deep) that the clay bar did not remove. What did I do wrong? I don't want to sand it, Im just prepping it for plastidip.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sounds like you need to return to the bodyshop and ask why the job they did is ****. Red paint underneath means they probably installed used parts from a red car, unless it's 'rusty' colored red, that could be primer. As far as getting rid of small scratches, clay won't do it. You'll need to compound or at least polish the clear to improve those. Google is your friend for these things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I acutally just spent my weekend doing this. BadBrains is right, polish works the best. This type of work is made SIGNIFICANTLY easier with a orbital machine. Griot's Garage sells all the product that you would need but it does get spendy FAST.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried returning it to the dealership I bought it from but they denied it since it was painted before I bought the car. Its kind of a rusty matte red as there is no shine or clearcoat. Working at Lordstown, Ive never seen red primer used before but then again, this isn't a cobalt. I'm guessing it would be primer. I wonder what would cause it to peel? Overall, the scratches are minor and there are only 2. I just want to make sure the plastidip sticks and looks smooth.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Could be filler that you're seeing as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts