SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you end up going with making a clear headlight lens?
The link is a bloke who makes slump acrylic lenses for his 240SX.
He probably sells them too as he's made a lot of them.

How about pouring water clear resin into he inside of the glass lens so that it flattens the flutes out?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
There is a guy in Russia who makes them.... $75 per pair. Go to ebay and search saab clear projector polycarbonate

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Still working on it... current health situation makes it difficult since nobody is accepting work. And my project is for a c900, probably wouldn't help you much.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still working on it... current health situation makes it difficult since nobody is accepting work. And my project is for a c900, probably wouldn't help you much.
Not specifically but the technique wouldbe the same.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The only type of process that would be available to regular people in small volume is thermoforming. Everything else is simply unsuitable for a light lens (rotomolding) or very expensive (injection molding). To properly thermoform you need good molds and a substantial source of vacuum. I dont think DIY methods are suitable here since it's much harder to get uniform thickness without that good vacuum, and without a uniform thickness I am concerned about creating hotspots on the lens.

The challenge with the old c900 is different than a 9-3, so as a Rev0 I am going to try and make a multipart solution. That way I can take a third route and CNC component parts. I think the final part will look fine on an '80s car but would look out of place on a 9-3.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Probably not useless, but certainly less than ideal. And maybe problematic. I mean, it's been done and people have had acceptable results, but for me the issue is less about light and more about irreplaceable parts. My goal is to have a replaceable parts and th multipiece solution really supports that goal.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably not useless, but certainly less than ideal. And maybe problematic. I mean, it's been done and people have had acceptable results, but for me the issue is less about light and more about irreplaceable parts. My goal is to have a replaceable parts and th multipiece solution really supports that goal.
I just tried it - no good at all.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The type and position of the projector is critical. Search around and you'll see a lot of discussions about it for a lot of cars.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The type and position of the projector is critical. Search around and you'll see a lot of discussions about it for a lot of cars.
I tried two different types of projector, that's it for me unless I can get a clear lens.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Jake is probably done with Saabs. He sold his personal car and went non-Saab. He used to buy, repair, and sell but I think he's done with that hobby too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts