SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another topic:

<i>Paddles are about a $100 retrofit, pretty easy as they just plug into the canbus that is already on the steering wheel for the stereo controls.</i>

I haven't found the paddles for sale anywhere on the 'net. Any references?

I haven't seen this topic as a "how to". It's not in the FAQ. Has it been discussed? Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I saw this too....I'm very interested. Who has tried this??????? Plug and play???? :D

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
As one who has paddles, they are a waste of time and a potential hazard. You can't use them while turning. Now don't you think you might want to shift while coming out of a turn, maybe huh?

I do occaisonally throw the floorshift in to the "Manual" mode to work out the trans, but after trying the paddles more than a few times...phooey

just my .02

·
Registered
759 Posts
CAn't use while turning? WTF?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nickshu said:
CAn't use while turning? WTF?
Meaning they're attached to a wheel spoke instead of the steering column itself- the switches are mounted in a spot that's very out of place when the wheel is turned.

However, my volume button on the steering wheel just caved in, and though it still works, I'm interested in getting it replaced. Are adding the paddle shifters as simple as a hardware installation and TechII update?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I thought they were just attached to the top of the radio control panel on each side of the wheel???

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
IMO If your doing a cloverleaf or serious turning it's inconvenient to shift to say the least, the paddles aren't where your hands are....I gues if you just up/down shift on a highway they'll do.

·
Registered
759 Posts
It looks like on later models the paddle shifters turn with the wheels...they're on top of the radio controls.

·
Registered
759 Posts
JonV said:
I wasn't aware they had them pre SS. On my 03 there on the Spokes above the radio controls....
Here's a picture from the 2007, looks like they turn with the wheel.

·
Registered
759 Posts
So back to the point.....can I plug and play retrofit?? Looks like I'll have to r&r airbag + techII reset.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I'm gonna say you shoulg get a Pro answer for that Q, unless someone here has actually done it. I wouldn't venture a guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nickshu said:
So back to the point.....can I plug and play retrofit?? Looks like I'll have to r&r airbag + techII reset.
I think you will have to ask your dealer. None of the internet sites seem to sell the rasdo controls with the shifters. You do realize that the steering wheel and airbag changed after i06, the airbag cover/dimensions and things are different so a retrofit '06 and after steering wheel to pre -06 requires new airbag. With these changes the radio control/shifter appear to have changed too in size. I wanted to retofit the new steering wheel and found out that the wheel itself is only $280 but the airbag would be $680...alittle to pricey for a better looking wheel for me....rather get other mods.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Like I said, ask a Pro! If I had my druthers, I'd lose the paddles and get this leather wheel. Love the contours, if you've ever used one you'll agree.

·
Registered
759 Posts
JonV said:
Like I said, ask a Pro! If I had my druthers, I'd lose the paddles and get this leather wheel. Love the contours, if you've ever used one you'll agree.
I have that leather wheel already. 60th anniv baby. (And great seats too).

Looking at my EPC dvd the paddle switchpaks are bolt on to that leather wheel. The question is if the wiring is there. From reading on the WIS dvd it seems like the wiring and the BUS is there for them in all cars.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nickshu said:
I have that leather wheel already. 60th anniv baby. (And great seats too).

Looking at my EPC dvd the paddle switchpaks are bolt on to that leather wheel. The question is if the wiring is there. From reading on the WIS dvd it seems like the wiring and the BUS is there for them in all cars.
Yes. But it might turn out like the gas door lock for the post MY2005.
Wiring is there, but a key component is missing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts