SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P2229 error code - Barometric PS [SOLVED]

This week I picked up a 2006 9-3 Aero SportCombi 6sp stick. I'm in NJ, and its inspection sticker is expired. I have a CEL, with error code P2229. I have done a fair amount of searching Saab forums and the web in general. I was hoping that a quick MAF cleaning would fix it. It did not. I am still at a loss and could use some help getting this solved, so that I can get it through inspection. I am including all of the information on what I have tried or learned so far. Perhaps this thread will help someone else in the future.
The links are not live, because my post count is too low.

P2229 = Barometric Pressure Circuit High
yourmechanic.com/article/p2229-obd-ii-trouble-code-barometric-pressure-circuit-high-by-andrew-quinn

I have tried clearing the code with a bluetooth OBD2 and the Torque App. The code reappears in less than ten minutes.

The engine runs rather smoothly, even at idle, cold or warm. There are really no symptoms besides the Check Engine Light - which will be an immediate fail on NJ inspection. With the new laws this year, that would force me to take it to a mechanic for an inspection sticker, which add$ to the cost.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This is my first experience with Saabs.

According to this doc
workshop-manuals.com/saab/9-3_(9440)/v6-2.8l_turbo/powertrain_management/computers_and_control_systems/barometric_pressure_sensor/component_information/specifications/page_6040/
there is a Baro PS. I have located what appears to be such a sensor. However, as other owners have noted, it is not plugged into anything and there does not appear to be any part of the wiring harness available to connect to it.

I have used the MAF cleaner spray to clean the MAF. Which is located in the center of very front of the engine bay. Uses two 5 point star, torx plus, security pin screws.
amazon.com/5-Point-TORX-Tamper-Proof-Bit-Set/dp/B007SOODHC
If you need them in a hurry, don't get in a hurry, you can get them from NAPA for $50.
My MAF looks most like this
wgmotorworks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Inside-MAF.jpg
It even includes the contact pinchers for the resistor which is pictured. Mine does NOT have the resistor. According to searches, the resistor fools the ECM into thinking the air is cold all the time, for other modification purposes. Which some say is a bad idea, for various reasons.

I have also cleaned what looks to be a MAP sensor, located to the left and a little further in from the MAF.
eeuroparts.com/Parts/77891/MAP-Sensor-0261230042/?gclid=CIPt6vm7sNACFQpYDQodNGkDiA

Thanks for reading and thank you any help.

[Solution = Yes, the 2.8L v6 Turbo does have a 3 wire connector for the Barometric Pressure Sensor. This connector frequently gets disconnected when replacing the firewall side 3 spark plugs or coils. It was very difficult to see behind the other wires. Grab each run of wires, tug gently until you find one that is loose with a disconnected connector. Plug it into the BPS. ECM reading = 100kPA. Thanks for playing.]

---
Other items:
Driver's side rear window regulator - damaged white nylon cable wheels
Front lower spoiler missing, black
Have to replace fuel level sending unit
May have heard clicking noise when turning steering wheel to max stop in both directions, but not otherwise.
Radio needs new number and band buttons

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
So if you could erase DTC you probably can monitor engine parameters - the barometric pressure (PID) reading by the PCM. What are the numbers?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checking the Torque Scan info on all sensors shows.
Barometric Pressure = 123kPa

This is parked with engine at idle.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well I suppose this code has nothing to do with the engine. It is atmospheric pressure. And it indicates maximum value it possibly can. The pressure should be around 100. You can try and check key on engine off. THere is another pressure sensor in the intake manifold and with engine off it reads atmosperic pressure. It is either a sensor fault aor a short of a signal wire to the 5v ref.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bortoroll

Key On Engine Off show same reading BP = 123kPa

The images you posted, although in negative color, are the same that I listed in my 1st post. Yes, that appears to be the BPS, but it is not connected to anything at all. There does not appear to be any connector disconnected which should connect to that sensor, nor does there appear to be any place to tap into the wiring harness to add such a connector. I do remember reading a post where someone made mention of this phenomenon, but I did not see a resolution to it. I will look again.

sidenote:
I am also noticing that the tripometer registers 35,5 not 35.5 and all of the data I am getting from Torque App is showing in metric, C, g, m, km, etc.
Is is possible that my car is set for metric units and the 172788 is actually km, not miles?

Thank you all for the help so far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was just looking at this thread again
saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121198

The previous owner did do an oil change before I made the purchase. I am going to check if he unplugged that connector mentioned in the post.

That owner has the 2.0LT, not the V6T, so it may be apples and star fruit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't have the v6 so i can only help with some info.
The atmospheric sensor share it's 5v ref circuit and ground circuit with other sensors - intake air sensor and fuel rail pressure sensor. SO maybe you can follow their wires.
Or maybe someone with v6 engine can look

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be great If I could find a connector for the Barometric Pressure Sensor, plug it in and be done. I'm trying to avoid the "buy and replace parts to see if might work" method of problem solving. I'm still looking around for methods of testing MAP, MAF, and individual coils. The runs fairly smoothly, so what ever the issue is, it is small. Just big enough to keep me from passing inspection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the 2006 9-3 v6 does not use the barometric pressure sensor, where does it get the kPa reading? I've seen other posts that seem to indicate that the BPS could be part of the ECM.
saablink.net/forum/general-new-9-3-posts-information/89674.htm

The P2229 issue seems to be a result of the 123kPa reading the ECM is getting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a new club member in the P2229 fun group. In a recent thread
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638377
he said he was changing the fire wall side spark plugs. When he was done, he had P2229.

I checked the service receipts I got from the previous owner of my car. He had Bank1 coils replaced last August, about 2 months before it was parked for a year.

I'm starting to see a cloud of a pattern. There appears to be some item that is either disconnected or has a tendency toward being damaged when the firewall bank of coils are handled for spark plug or coil exchanges. But what specifically?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been trying to install Saab WIS and EPC under Ubuntu 16.10 to find some clues on where exactly the 2006 9-3 Aero SC 2.8T gets its barometric pressure reading. No luck with PlayOnLinux front for WINE.

Any help on WIS Linux WINE combo or on Barometric PS reading causing P2229 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I know there is a barometric pressure sensor for atmospheric pressure located near the coolant reservoir, mounted on top of the intake that gets removed during rear plug/coil pack changes. Likely just got unplugged, and the plug dropped down the back of the block somewhere. It is fed from the large wiring harness that runs over the two turbo coolant lines, and off towards the back of the block.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OP, did you get this worked out? If you want to part swap a few things for trouble shooting I am in North Jersey as well, and would be happy to let you borrow parts from mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do other 2.8T owners have Barometric Pressure Sensors WITH connectors?
I have not been able to locate the appropriate 3 wire connector for my BPS.

I am digging around for an original Win XP Pro install CD with key so that I can set up a WIS/EPC machine. Linux/WINE is not currently cooperating with this process. Hard to believe that an XP machine is still so valuable a tool for so many software and hardware setups.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Attached are photos of the two pressure sensors on my 2.8. Both are plugged in. The 3-pin atmospheric BPS connector harness runs down the back of the block somewhere. I can follow it from above until it drops under the vacuum line connections for the crankcase breather, and it kind of heads down towards the primary O2 sensor connector (ish).

EDIT: Sorry for the small text. I will use a bigger font size next time...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts