SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (daughter's) Saab 900 (1996 SE Turbo convertible) has developed a hard start condition.

The manifestion of the problem is as follows:

The car will crank but not start -- as though it either has no fuel or no spark.

After a period of 5-15 seconds of continual cranking, the engine will eventually start to run; I then have to let it run on the starter another 5-10 secs before it will sustain operation.

It will run rough for a while, then smooth out and restart again so long as it is within a couple of hours.

So far, I have checked all vacuum hoses and replaced the crank position sensor (it was a used car, and the CPS connector had been repaired by prior owner with JB weld and falling apart again so probably needed to be replaced anyway).

I finally got the car to Advance Auto, put a DB2 on it and got the code P1611.

Lots of posts on the P1611. First step in troubleshooting seems to be checking the continuity between pin 61 of the Trionic electronic control module and pin 5 of the transmission control module.

So first question, does anyone have ECM and TCM pin-out diagrams so I can do the continuity test.

Second question, has anyone else had this problem witht the corresponding P1611 code and was replacing the ECM the ultimate solution.

I find it hard to believe that if the car will start (eventually), that the ECM is the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, after going step-by-step thru 20+ checks, and then starting back thru the list again, the problem turned out to be the DIC -- one of top 5 items on the checklist. It worked fine when upside down, but only intermittenttly when "right-side up". Didn't believe the DIC mythology: strange but true. And yes, the failed DIC was one of the cheap Chinese ones from eBay. Lasted barely 15,000 miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts