SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc with 81K miles gave the above codes. My local mechanic (not Saab specific, unfortunately) has advised me that most likely the throttle body needs to be replaced. They've recommended that I take it to the nearest Saab dealer (1 h away) and have them do it since the throttle body needs to be programmed with a Tech II after installation. The main question I have is: will the car run after installing a new throttle body, but before it gets reprogrammed with the Tech II? I'd like to either do it myself or have my local mechanic do it, then make the drive to the stealership for the reprogramming, if that's possible.

Thanks
Bryce

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Good Morning

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc with 81K miles gave the above codes. My local mechanic (not Saab specific, unfortunately) has advised me that most likely the throttle body needs to be replaced. They've recommended that I take it to the nearest Saab dealer (1 h away) and have them do it since the throttle body needs to be programmed with a Tech II after installation. The main question I have is: will the car run after installing a new throttle body, but before it gets reprogrammed with the Tech II? I'd like to either do it myself or have my local mechanic do it, then make the drive to the stealership for the reprogramming, if that's possible.

Thanks
Bryce
as far as I know there is no need for techII when swapping throtle bodies. also I would check the code and look for other issues before jumping in and changing the throtle body

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did the car go into LHM? How's the car running? Those codes are usually the TB sensors try cleaning the electrical contacts check the LHM if it's in LHM clear the codes and reset the LHM.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is at my mechanic's right now. Here's more info on the CELs from him.

P1251-1 Throttle Motor Full PWM in closing direction
P1231-1 TPS Circuit 1& 2 out of range (no limp home available)

According to him, the car runs rough right now, but it does run.

Over 100 throttle bodies are on back-order right now. It could be weeks before a new one is available. We're probably going to send the old throttle body out for rebuilding.

Bryce

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It's early, forget question #1

Is that mechanic a Saab indy? How did he check for LHM? Did he try cleaning the connections?

The car is at my mechanic's right now. Here's more info on the CELs from him.

P1251-1 Throttle Motor Full PWM in closing direction
P1231-1 TPS Circuit 1& 2 out of range (no limp home available)

According to him, the car runs rough right now, but it does run.

Over 100 throttle bodies are on back-order right now. It could be weeks before a new one is available. We're probably going to send the old throttle body out for rebuilding.

Bryce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts