SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
P1110 is a fault code for fluctuations in charge air pressure. When my car was throwing P1110 codes, it was the BPV that was bad. If that's the case, you may hear a "fluttering" sound, especially when you lift throttle.

I understand it can also result from problems with the solenoid that controls the BPV, or from wiring problems or vacuum leaks in the vicinity of the BPV or its solenoid.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I do hear fluttering sound...what is bpv, some kind of valve?
i did have vacuum leak codes along with p1110 but after clearing those never came back, maybe it takes more time for them to kick in...

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's the turbo bypass valve. Its pupose is that, when you lift throttle, it sends the compressed charge air that's no longer needed back to the compressor inlet. That helps to keep the compressor spinning so that it will be ready when you step on the throttle again.

Here's a link to a picture: http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=4849

If you're getting vacuum leak codes, I'd also check all the vacuum lines around the BPV very carefully.

When these things fail, many people replace them with nice shiny ones from Hyperboost or another aftermarket supplier. They cost twice as much as the Bosch unit, though, and (other than looking pretty) won't really give you a benefit unless you start making performance mods.

These things are easy to switch out, so, if you have a Saab (or Audi or turbo VW) buddy, you could swap them and see if the problem follows the BPV.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave!
I replaced BPV and p1110 code is not coming back. However, I am getting 2 vacuum leak codes (po442 and p0455, gross and small vacuum leak). It's kind of unusual to get both of these, any ideas what could it be? Lines seem fine and I also checked on the nack of the car, next to the canister, everything looks good there too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've never run in to the vacuum leak codes, I'm afraid. All I can advise is that you very carefully and thoroughly check all the vacuum lines, perhaps including feeling the bottom side to make sure they haven't rotted out.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
sjever said:
I am getting 2 vacuum leak codes (po442 and p0455, gross and small vacuum leak). It's kind of unusual to get both of these, any ideas what could it be?
That is the evap emission system. The ECU shuts both evap valves and runs a check each time the car is started to make sure the system is intact, and that there is no leak from the fuel filler cap, the fuel tank, the hoses, the charcoal canister, purge valve, etc. Most common sources of a leak are the filler cap and the purge valve. Here is the full range of evap codes:

P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
P0445 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted
P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
P0447 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open
P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0450 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Malfunction
P0451 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance
P0452 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P0453 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input
P0454 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Intermittent
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

Finding and fixing a leak in the evap system can be very difficult because of poor access to the fuel tank, some of the hoses, and other parts. Do a search on the codes, you may find other tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.