SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1999 9-5 and the check engine light came on. It drives exactly the same, and the fuel mpg is the same. What exactly is the problem? We cleared the code but it did come back, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

P1110 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Low Input

What the heck does that mean and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
ByPass Valve

Welcome to SC!

Basically Your ByPass Valve (BPV - aka dump valve) or the the solenoid for it is not sending a good enought signal to the Engine's computer. WIS also states that your code P1110 is genersted when the valve doen't open during deceleration.

It's a great excuse to put some Bling right where everyone would see it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton for that info!

How much would a new BOV cost? Wifes car, she doesnt much care about the bling factor or much else except getting the CEL out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check the vacuum lines. The vacuum line fall off my solenoid vave and caused the 1110 code. I put the line back on and the code went away. $0. I have since replaced all of the vacuum lines. Rember, the "vacuum" lines sometimes run at high pressure on our turbo cars.

Drive Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
943 Posts
i'm guessing the line comig off your bypass valve is shot. When I look at mine it looks really awful, I just haven't got around to replacing it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Now wouldn't it be great if it was just the line? Hmmmm. Well, it is oxidized but seems plenty flexible.

I am approaching 98K miles and doubt the line/valve was ever replaced

but a new valve is ~ $55 whereas a section of tubing much less. ;ol; Sigh tubing looks good

·
Registered
943 Posts
you won't hurt anything by replacing the tubing. THe outside of mine is crumbling badly, even though it is still flexible I suspect it weeps air.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Al's Red Wagon opened the door. M y tubing was fine once i reconnected it to the spot AsLW pointed out via the diagram (thanks bro!), but the CEL was still on. I then found a site that showed me how to reset the engine code (CEL: #17 in your fuse box) that same site told me how to plug the turbo boost valve. WOW! I have owned this car for over a year, it never ran so fast

·
Registered
343 Posts
Where does this hose go?

The solenoid for the BPV has 3 hoses, one from he throttle body (Intake side), another going to the BPV, where the the 3rd one connect to?

Mine is dangling and generating P1110. (I've already swapped BPV before I noticed...) Hose is aprox 6 inches long.

The rest of the story: 2001 2.3t engine swap for a 2002 Aero, so the solenoid & hose stayed on firewall, different engine now in car, didn't notice any open vacuum nipples... Throttle body came on 2002 engine.

Welcome to SC!

Basically Your ByPass Valve (BPV - aka dump valve) or the the solenoid for it is not sending a good enought signal to the Engine's computer. WIS also states that your code P1110 is genersted when the valve doen't open during deceleration.

It's a great excuse to put some Bling right where everyone would see it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
another P1110 Saga.

Just got this code. I have begun to DREAD my 9-5 2000 5 speed. Its isolated P1110- there are no other accompanying codes , unless my OBD2 ( which is a standard scanner ) itself is short.
Some antecdents to this :--
-- Few days ago , on hot afternoons, after the car lay for a while, on starting I could see bluish grey fumes come off the exhaust.
-- Around the same time , driving the car in lower gears felt like its going to stop. kind of laggy as if dragging a ton of weight behind it
-- Code showed up on a monsoon day with high humidity.
By and Large would the common conclusion be that the valve needs to change.
All SAAB parts have to be ordered - AZ et all do not like to carrying SAAB & then I have to drive it 60 miles to my mechanic, after I get the part. ( I am no good at ripping through the hood unless I see it done a few times ) . Would I be ok at 40-45 max mph.
What does this valve do. In the absence of this valve is there an alternate mechanism that kicks in and can that remain in place for sometime .
Are there some OTHER parts besides the valve that would help - just in case we open another can of worms . As would be evident, all these would need to be ordered before I can start work.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
There are only two parts in this circuit:

1: the solenoid on the firewall, it has three vacuum lines connected

2: the bypass valve on the front of the engine connected to the charge air tube.

On the solenoid, the three vacuum lines are:

1: from the throttle body, this goes onto the one on the "left" side when looking at it from the front of the ar

2: to the bypass valve, this goes onto the middle side

3: to the intake manifold, there is a 2-tap right behind the fuel pressure regulator, ti connects here. The FPR also connects to this tap.

When I had this code on my 02 Aero 5-speed It frustrated the hell out of me. I finally figured that I had two of the vacuum lines switched.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TY . The other thing, I was trying to figure out was Would I be ok at 40-45 max mph driving for a while till I get it fixed.
In the absence of this valve is there an alternate mechanism that kicks in and can that remain in place for sometime .

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
FWIW - I grabbed an extra bypass valve and a replacement solenoid at the pick-and-pull in Newark for cheap. I was there last weekend and there are two 9-5's there. Those parts don't go that often so they're probably there.

Go get 'em both and then replace everything!

Bring a cordless drill, the solenoid is riveted to the bracket that holds the main wiring harness and they seem to charge more for bigger stuff when it's not on the main price list. so taking just the solenoid will cost you less.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TY for your quick replies.Right now I am far away from the Bay. I know the PNP
you are talking about. There are 2 out there in Newark. But this is not exactly
my cup of tea- I am more kind of guy who ( unfortunately out of ignorance or else not being my cup ) will create work for you than work with you : ) !!!
So what I am trying to find out is - if there is still Coolant in the Reservoir ( and I did see, there is like 80% + ) . does this info.help narrow down the prob. to 1 amongst the 3 ( valve, solenoid or tubes ) or could be any.
Also - Can I drive around at 45 for maybe a week or so till my parts get in here.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
this has nothing to do with coolant

What this system does is when you take your foot off the gas it releases the pressure in the intake manifold that was generated by the turbo and dumps it (via the bypass valve) into the uncompressed side of the turbo.

I have no idea what the short/long term side effects of doing this will be, but it will certainly not cause overheating or anything coolant related.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Oh, and you should be able to find some vacuum tubing to replace all three pieces of vacuum line at any local auto parts store wherever you are. They are quite simple to replace, no clamps. you only need a pair of scissors or a knife to cut the stuff to length.

Do them one at a time. Take a hose out, measure the new stuff to length, put the new stuff on. That way you don't mess up where each one goes.

and use the vacuum diagram above to make sure that was right in the first place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts