SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Saab 9-3. I have a P0691; Fan 1 Control Circuit Low. I think that code is connected to my Air Conditioning issues. When my AC is on and its blowing cold. After about 5 min of driving, the check engine light begins to blink. When I turn the fan of, the check engine light disappears. Other times Id turn the AC on and it just blows out HOT!!!
Does anyone know where the Ground to the AC fan is? I cant find it so I cant check it to see if its intact. Any photos anyone has would be helpful. (not a wiring diagram)
Please help. Its burning hot outside

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a bit difficult to see the pic in reference to where im looking at to find it, in the vehicle. Where is the ground located?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Just had a similar problem on a 9-3 1.9 TID although my problem was with Fan 2 although it didnt effect the AC your problem with Fan 1 will.
Same logic for the T8 9-3 in this case.

I ended up changing the resistor pack termed "relay unit"(sourced from a breaker $20) on the radiator to cure it but I did go through all the troubelshooting steps in the WIS first to check it wasnt a wiring or ECU issue.

I managed to change it with some skinned knuckles and swearing although space is very tight.One torx T25 screw and two plug connectors for each rad need to be taken off...seems easy doesnt it? :)

To troubleshoot you need a multimeter and ideally be able to use the WIS.
WIS is available over in the Tech2 section.

There are a few paths through the troubleshooting but I have put some screenshots of the most relevant for P0691.

Your blinking EML and P300 are likely unrelated (likely a coil or vacuum leak)

although with the AC on the engine is under more load and more likley to show the weakness.

Part number for the resistor pack is 24418357 but is fitted to lots of different GM vehicles and can be found cheaply.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it doesnt overheat. It never overheated ever. This fluid levels are fine. I do have a smell of coolant but absolutely no leaks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, those pics are helpful and I will be under the hood in the morning when I finish work. This looks great and gives me a great start. Not sure where you got these pics from but I can benefit from a book like this.

Everything your explaining is something ive experienced at some point.

My tech 2 is on its way and should be here this week.

I do have a test light and I do have a multi-meter. Im not so knowledgeable with using a multi-meter but im sure I can figure it out.

My thoughts where that maybe the relays were an issue or it was maybe the wiring or both and it seems im on the right track. Now its a matter of getting it all tested.

Ill keep you posted on the progress over the weekend

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you from a brand new member!

Thank you to the senior members!
I have read this forum as a guest on and off for years, and have to say that the level of experience and helpfulness of the members is impressive. I’m sorting out some AC woes with my 06 9-3 2.0t, it’s been a great car to drive. I just got it back from the local Indy shop, and the troubles have recurred.

This thread puts me on to a few checks that I can do myself. Thank you again to CJPeterborough and Hus sho!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I used my test light and I used my Meter to attempt to test the cables as shown in the picture. For some reason my tips cant fit in the cables to actually test them. Is there a specific device that I need to use so I can stick them in the cables ?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
This is the setup i usually use.
I have to say that u should know what u doing, do not short anything (preferably test one pin a time).
If testing involves high current draw circuits the multimeter may not be helpful straight forward as u may have to do voltage drop testing.
Finally, just remind me, u said falshing check engine light only when the A/C on, is it on idle or while driving as well ?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts