SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been chasing these codes for about a month. I cleaned the evap valve, which seemed to help, but the codes came back.

I took the car to my mechanic and he did a smoke test and changed the valve with a known working one. Codes don't clear for long and nothing was revealed with the smoke test.

Any ideas on what I should look at next?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Found from another forum relating to the same codes showing up simultaneously...

"You also should look further at the brake booster you mentioned earlier to make sure there are no vacuum leaks. While the ACC on/off could be coincidence, keep in mind that the bypass valve and its solenoid are all very close to the rigid (and brittle) lines to the brake booster. Making sure that line is still in good shape, especially near the check valve, would be wise. Its not an uncommon failure point

Good luck"

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if a valve can fail open? I replaced the brake booster hose and an oil trap hose not too long ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It could be a vacuum leak coming from the brake booster itself. p1181 usually mean vacuum leak from the brake booster.

·
Registered
735 Posts
"I wonder if a valve can fail open? I replaced the brake booster hose and an oil trap hose not too long ago."

which valve?

1) If you mean the evap. control valve, unlikely. They stick due to dirt in the moving part, and since they're closed 99% of the time, they glue themselves shut.

2) If you mean NRVs, yes they can. The blue one(s) in the evap. line, you don't specify the car's age so it might have one or two, use a rubber disc over a hole, like a trapdoor. Dirt can stop them sealing, or they get off-centre.

3) The one on the oil trap hose - the one behind the back of the cam cover - I haven't heard of one sticking open. They usually break though. Cheap aluminium replacements can fail open, I've found, because of the rather primitive spring and thin plastic disc arrangement inside. The disc slips down the side of the spring! I blow/suck mine periodically to check.

I believe the above based on invasive examination!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleared codes and got a P1181 again after several days.

I think I found the problem: the oil trap hose was disconnected at the back of the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts