SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of researching around on the forums and I've finally come to actually ask what the heck is wrong with my car. For about a year now, my check engine light is on about 95% of the time when being driven, and at least 3 out of the 5 days i drive my car it sputters and backfires some (and vicously jerks) when accelerating, even at a steady excelleration and not hard. P0340 is the ONLY code it is throwing me. I've noticed a lot of other people with this code also gets the cyl 4 misfire code as well, but not me.
here's some history on the car:
it's a 99 9-3 s turbo
my husband and i bought it in august of 2004 with 145k miles on it...after a long haul from NY to FL at 155k miles, while overpacked and 14 hours of driving at high speeds, the engine blew. Had an engine and turbo from another 99 9-3 put into the car with 21k miles on it in. the ignition cassette from the replacement engine was not good, and was able to get the cassette off the old engine. the car is now at 179k miles (highway) (with about 45k on the engine.) I don't know if the DIC has been replaced b4 i bought the car, but i've read the there isn't a camshaft position sensor and that it's a dummy code for the DIC since that does the CPS's job. we did have a vacuum leak and fixed it...at 1st, the sputter didn't happen as offten, but it does it just about the same as it did. I've been driving the car for a year like this...sad that i'm used to it. Does anyone know what's going on? Please tell me i'm not gonna have to fork out $425 on another DIC!

thanks!

Cheryl

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It probably is the DIC, just as you suspect, but with any luck, it should cost closer to $320-$350, at least online. The circuit which generates the P0340 code is inside the cassette, as far as I know there is no other explanation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coliphage said:
There is a recall for the DIC.
i just called the saab customer svc number (800-722-2872) and gave them the last 8 of my VIN and there are no recalls for the 99 9-3 in their system. Unless it's a safety hazzard, i've never heard of a company recalling a part that won't harm people. if they did, then they should've recalled the digital displays lol! yeah, mine's bad too...i've seen the a lot of posts about the displays...and daytime running light switch breaking...i am a victim of that as well :roll: .

·
Registered
353 Posts
300+ dollars for a DIC? I thought all of the 9-3's ran the black cassette. If this is the case you can pick one up for much cheaper than 300 bucks. Even if you currently have the red cassette, the black can replace it (I think). Head to Europarts or Ebay and check it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bntroberts said:
300+ dollars for a DIC? I thought all of the 9-3's ran the black cassette. If this is the case you can pick one up for much cheaper than 300 bucks. Even if you currently have the red cassette, the black can replace it (I think). Head to Europarts or Ebay and check it out.
does anyone know for sure if the black one can replace the red one...i do have the red one, and to get a brand new one, the black is 1/2 the price...judging by price, i assumed that there is some sort of difference. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
411 Posts
First, let me say that what I know about the DIC is hearsay, all second hand info and should be taken as such.

The red cassettes are the t5 engine management system used in the older 94-99 engines.

The black cassettes are newer design and go in the t7 engines.

The rumor is that the black cassettes have additional electronics for the t7 engine management system. A t5 system cannot use the additional electronics but can fire and read a t7 black cassette without errors.

A t7 engine management system needs the additional electronics to properly operate so a red t5 cassette cannot be used in a t7 engine management system.

People have used a black cassette where a red one was used but it creeps Saab purists out.

It can be done, it doesn't cause any errors and it's your call.

Frankly, I have a spare, used t5 cassette in my trunk. The one in the car, I got off ebay and the good one the car came with, went in the trunk. Both are red.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i also am throwing p0340 code, after replacing dic and plugs
should i just clear it? it has to be fixed for emissions..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
BTW, you can double check the DIC by removing the screws on the rubber boot, most of the time you'll see the oil/fluid (green in color) leaking in the specific coil that was giving a misfire

i also am throwing p0340 code, after replacing dic and plugs
should i just clear it? it has to be fixed for emissions..
depends on how it's triggering the fault, when does it get triggered?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For error code P0340, one or more of the below repairs may be needed to solve the underlying issue. walmart one For each possible repair, the estimated cost of repair includes the cost of the relevant parts and the cost of labor required to make the repair.

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Rony: Welcome to the group... nice to see you jump in to participate. But FYI - the post you responded to was an errant response to a six year old thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts