SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CEL is on, and returning the common "P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction" error code.

I'm having a hard time finding good information on whether this is the DIC or the spark plugs. Does this code mean the DIC is going to fail soon, leaving my wife and 2 kids stranded?

The car is driving no differently than it did before the CEL came on, so I don't know if anything is wrong.

Just checking if I should go and replace the spark plugs first, or if that is useless without buying a new DIC, which considering the price, I hope not to have to do that. Also, do I need to disconnect the battery to reset the CEL, or if the problem is fixed will the CEL turn off immediately and automatically?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Most likely the dic
You can change the plugs but that won't help the failing dic.
Worth taking a look at them and cleaning them up.
The cps (crank position sensor) won't throw a code.
You may want to check to see if there was a recall on your model/year for the dic
Good luck

the cel should shut itself off when the issue doesn't exist but not 100% of the time (good answer huh?).

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
When you get this code always check your spark plugs first; when was the last time the spark plugs were changed? This code usually means the spark plug are old or fouled if it is then the DIC suffers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put NGK iridiums in the car in Sept 2009, which was about 26K miles ago. How long should spark plugs last? Just read I should maybe just put copper ones in, such as NGK BCPR7ES?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts