SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Great video, I will perform a smoke test like the video a soon as i can. I also found a test in Wis that involves pressurizing the induction system. I'll try that also if smoke test doesn't provide results. Thanks again!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hey guys, so after getting 21 inches of snow dumped on us, I finally got a chance to perform a smoke test as shown on the video Hus_sho posted, only difference was my smoker has a pressure regulator that won't let it go above 1psi, in the video he was up towards 5 or 6, maybe I can bypass the regulator because from what I read in WIS the system needs to be pressurized to 0.6bar or about 8psi (well that is using soap and water at least not smoke). Anyway the only smoke I saw was coming out of the breather on the back of the valve cover. Doesn't that mean PCV valve?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well got it to 0.6bar, held steady, no smoke anywhere, hit it with soap and water where I could reach at least, nothing. I didn't connect it to the intake side like in the video, is 0.6bar ok for that side also?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Oooh, then u mean u didnt allow the smoke to go into the intake manifold by blocking the throttle body hose ?
How about u allow it, 0.6 is ok

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hey man, concentrate 😂😂 .. no dont block the throttle body hose.. im trying to understand what did u mean when u said up there “ i didnt connect it to the intake side” thats all..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Oh, sorry, I meant I didn't connect the smoker to the intake manifold yet like in the video. Only the air hose between the MAF and turbo in which I found no leaks anywhere at 0.6bar, used smoke and soapy water. Still a tiny bit of smoke coming out of that breather on the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Man im confused !! In the video the smoke is introduced into the hose after the MAF into the turbo, while only the pcv hose is disconnected and plugged .. if u did it like this then the smoke has gotten to the intake manifold for sure and thats how it should be tested .. so did u do it like that or not !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I just watched the video again, how embarrassing, sorry for the confusion man, he doesn't hook it up to the intake manifold it's the vacuum line that goes to the bypass valve at the turbo, to check its diaphragm.
So then yes I did it exactly like he did, held at 0.6bar no visible leaks, just the tiny bit of smoke from the valve cover breather. Sorry again for the confusion, the smoke must be going to my head lol.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Then u have to re check timing again, there is no other choice .. and u must take photos this time (of the timing mark at the cranck pully, the tools while sitting flush at the cam loupes ) and by the way, take the crank pulley off and inspect it for damaged keyway at the back of the pulley.
I

61 - 78 of 78 Posts