SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots of threads talking about this, and I think I have a decent list of things to look at. I actually have to relay the list to my shop guy, because I lack the experience and time to do much myself. Anyway, aside from checking vacuum lines, new spark plugs, and fuel sytem cleaning, what are some other highly likely causes? For right now, I'm really just looking for a "top ten" sort of troubleshooting list. Also, I saw in numerous threads the DIC could be an issue. On a 1998 900S, do I have one? If so, I'll add that to the list, though I hope it's nothing that expensive!

About the issue - I'm at 97K miles, and about twice a month, the car misfires (hence the P0300 code) while I'm driving down the highway. Twice it shut the car off completely, and I had to pull over and sit a few minutes before restarting. After about a day or two, the code clears itself, and no other codes appear.

Thanks,

AB

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
ABorkat said:
...Also, I saw in numerous threads the DIC could be an issue. On a 1998 900S, do I have one?
No. If you have the n/a (normally aspirated) 2.3L engine, then you should have a conventional distributor. The cars have one or the other, distributor or DIC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine's actually the turbo engine, and in a really sh*tty way, I found out exactly what's wrong...

After I posted that, I left work to go home, and driving down the street, the car stalled. Had it towed after sitting in the median for two hours. Shop says it is the DIC, so it's being replaced :( . They also found the head has a minor oil leak, so it's being re-torqued too.

Good thing the car wasn't too expensive. Need the money to keep it running!

AB

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You either have a Viggen or a Viggen "Wanna-be", if you have a 2.3..
Please update your avatar...
The standard 900S is a "n/a" engine with a distributer and wires...
The DIC may be good for 100K, after that, carry a spare or just renew it....
Good luck:cheesy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts