SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HNY to all!!!

Can spark plugs crack from say, dying ign coils, or from other eng problems? Or, is it just my mishandling during recent timing job despite being careful? Or, over torqued due to wet torquing, which has always been a concern at 21 ft-lb + anti-seize + warm eng?

Last week, P0300 with worsening engine studder/miss especially at idle and all sorts of possible proplems flashed by in my head. With Tech2 showing high misfires on 3 & 4, found below, cracked spark plugs with only 4K on them.

20200114_163404.jpg

20200113_174704.jpg

No more misses on a 10 mins or 2 mi casual drive after new plugs but should I be concerned about those few knocks shown below? I remember reading on numerous occasions that some knocks are quite normal.
20200114_174745.jpg

·
Registered
831 Posts
Those plugs look tracked, not cracked, like they arc'ed over instead of firing. Is there junk inside the coil boot?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Agree, looks like tracking along the inside of the boot that left a trail on the plug. The "cracks" don't continue into the grooves of the ceramic.

You can try cleaning the boot, but you usually can't remove carbon tracking very well that way. I'd suggest replacing them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely, my injectors and coils are due for services or updates now at 150K among others.... Still have the og yellow tops that never gave me problems until possibly now. 10 bucks a pop is too much after only 4K. Ordering 4 new coils!

Yeah okcrum, would like to find the cause if possible so I'll take em apart over the weekend, or after replacing, although exterior looked very clean.

Thanks guys for your detailed insights! Didn't know what to make of it seeing it for the first time and first to hear about "tracking." Awesome!

PS. Yes, the gaps were all on the spot, bet 0.9 - 1.0 mm (tight @ 0.991 mm & loose @ 0.940 mm - feeler gauge combinations)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts