SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first question, can up and downstream o2 sensors be interchanged? second question, can universal o2 sensors be used?, and finally, is there any innexpensive o2 sensors for the 9-3 ?

·
Registered
19,056 Posts
I used the Bosch "universal". If you google here for "oxygen sensor" and "Mustang" you will find the number.

Bosch gives you a little special connector kit. Having done it once, I don't know if I would again. It worked out fine, but it's a PITA job that takes too long.

The front and rear sensors are the same but the wire lengths are not. I've never actually checked the connectors but I think they are the same.

You can get some good deals on sensors on Amazon.com or Rock Auto.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I dont assume the front and rear is the same, could be, but might be different connectors. I did use a universal for almost a year but bought a direct fit as to prempt any problems i might have. to each their own but personally i dont like to halfa** unless its "halfa** or eat". get the part number and search the 'net, might be able to score a new one cheaper

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Front and rear sensors are exactly the same in their function - the connector at the engine terminal is slightly different but can be modified to be interchangable. The cable length are different but will fit in most instances but exhausts changed over the years so check the length . Using a none OE sensor on the T7 can be problematic as it has a very strict set of tests it runs to check sensor functionality which includes how fast it starts working and a narrow band of resistance for the heater element ( amongst other things) - this means a non OE (Non Bosch) sensor can throw a CEL even though it's working properly. I think T5 is less fussy but not 100% certain.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont assume the front and rear is the same, could be, but might be different connectors. I did use a universal for almost a year but bought a direct fit as to prempt any problems i might have. to each their own but personally i dont like to halfa** unless its "halfa** or eat". get the part number and search the 'net, might be able to score a new one cheaper

what is halfass about cutting wires on the old sensor, and properly splicing a new sensor to the old connector? it litterally is the same as buying any aftermarket "direct fit" there's nothing halfass about using splicing bands, solder and heat shrink

1 - 5 of 5 Posts