SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Uk fuel price going over £1, I just can't stand the poor fuel economy I get from my Aero any more.

I'm only getting 23~24 MPG for town/ mixed driving and 28~29 for motor ways.

My last 9-5, a 2.3lpt with a BSR stage 1, gave me 28MPG for town and 33MPG for motorways.

Looking at the tech data the Aero should be about same at fuel consumption as the 2.3lpt.

I've heard fualty oxygen sensors can cause bad fuel economy, but doesn't fault oxygen sensors give out CEL lights?

Could it just be dirty/ coated and needs cleaning?

Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm no expert but I did replace the front oxygen sensor on my car. After 18 months the `CEL' light kept coming on and the dealer (Ballards of Finchley) did a free Tech 2 read and said the sensor was occasionally giving an incorrect reading. Not worth a sensor change but worth knowing anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it time for a tune up?

What is the current mileage of your car? Is it time for its recommended maintainence? Is your air filter dirty or spark plugs worn out? Check the basics first!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you have sensor issues -O2 lambda or MAF etc your car will struggle to pass the MOT emissions tests and likley fail.
Might be an idea to get them checked if you are worried about fuel consumption especially if the rest of your routine maintenance is up to scratch.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Katsura said:
With Uk fuel price going over £1, I just can't stand the poor fuel economy I get from my Aero any more.

I'm only getting 23~24 MPG for town/ mixed driving and 28~29 for motor ways.

My last 9-5, a 2.3lpt with a BSR stage 1, gave me 28MPG for town and 33MPG for motorways.

Looking at the tech data the Aero should be about same at fuel consumption as the 2.3lpt.

I've heard fualty oxygen sensors can cause bad fuel economy, but doesn't fault oxygen sensors give out CEL lights?

Could it just be dirty/ coated and needs cleaning?

Cheers.
Only 28/33??? You should be happy. Remember the LPT has less "get up and go" so you might not have accelerated quickly too much. If you try driving the Aero with a light foot you will see the same milage as the Aero I bet...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts