SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm matt. shade tree mechanic / diy'r if i have the tools..

car smokes and smells like a diesel or cat converter burning. sometimes idles rough but mostly smokes when idling or accelerating after coasting a ways. it has leaked a little oil but is burning about 1qt per 400 miles. i unfortunately discovered this when the car quit smoking but because it was low on oil. no oil on dipstick. i quickly added more and keeping it topped off but what now.
i have read about the PCV upgrade but could that be causing that much oil consumption?

plugs looked ok last time i checked.. i will have another look. i should check compression but are some other signs of piston rings failing? thankyou

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sadly I doubt the PCV update will stop that much oil loss, the problem sounds way bigger - turbo or rings (or a leak)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure what the oil sensor is? where is it located on the engine?

the rough idle makes me think that one cylinder may not be pushing as hard.. but could that me the oil sensor prob?

also, was the pcv issue a recall? where can i acquire this kit without 'breaking the bank'??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its right at the back infront of the driver. Best thing u could do is go in and get an engine wash and some dye added to pinpoint where its leaking. How is it with your foot flat? Still have good power? Or is it straining? If it was on 3 cyls ud be chewing through gas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
avg 24.ish mpg mix of city and highway
i noticed a leak when it was raining the other day but on the passenger side..

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i mean, THIS saab... one day it smokes one day not cel on then off.. i added some oil stabilizer today ind no smoke.? go figure but the leak is worse than i thought. can see oil on plastic under the car on the timing chain side.. haven't had an opportunity to investigate yet

·
Registered
54 Posts
Timing Cover leak

The PCV issue causes to much pressure in the crank case including the timing cover. It was never recalled, but a Saab parts department will steer you right.

Your oil leak may slow or stop after you replace your PCV with a fix kit. You can get it from Saab for around $100 or check online. I didn't have time to order it, so I went to Saab, they sold me all replacement hoses, which I returned tow of, since mine were fine, so my net cost was $80.

The timing cover does not have a gasket, it use a silicone seal. It is a ***** to change while the engine is in the car, but it can be done if you float the engine towards the driver side. Or you could support the engine, remove the sub frame and drop it low enough to pull the timing cove over the drive shaft.

Good luck and if you pull the engine, get someone to help you and use a Haynes manual and or the https://www.alldatadiy.com, which for a fee will give you the Service Manual instructions.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had similar on my Dci Laguna.

Stuttering rough idle = hole in intercooler, oil on bottom of front bumper from intercooler.
Oil consmption, was the turbo eating itself and engine. Had a leak from the air intake pipe by one of the sensors. Whats the colour of the smoke?

Just before the Laguna died, There was a strong smell of oil, in limp mode. When I got the car home tried to get an injector out, but no luck. Started the car really rough idle, sounded like arcing. Turned car off, with keycard in hand engine red-lined on stay there for 20secs. All because the Garrett Turbo had blown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts