SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Recently my brake fluid light on the dash started to flicker. The fluid was a little low. I did not see any leak so I thought it was just the pads wearing causing the fluid level to go low. I did not see the fill indicator on the side and just filled the resivor to the top. Drive the car around The light goes off and all is well. Go out to the next day and there is brake fluid all over the ground. Check the resivor and notice that the level is now at the MAX level indication point. It looks like the fluid came out by the slave cylinder at the front of the engine. It is no longer leaking. There is no overfill drain on the resivor, where did the fluid leak from? Every thing seems fine now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That thing with the reservoir on top is the master cylinder. First things first, wash the brake fluid off, it's likely to bugger up your paintwork. Brake fluid is nasty stuff. If it doesn't leak any further then don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
This is how I read your problem:

Your fluid level was low, so you filled it up. Then it leaked out again from the clutch slave. So the clutch slave was probably the reason for low fluid in the first place? The brakes and clutch share the same reservoir (although the brakes have a seperate area so if the fluid does leak from the clutch, the brakes still have some fluid left.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does look like it leaked out by the slave after I filled the reservoir to the top. It is almost imposible to tell exactly were the leak is from, with all the intercooler piping on top, and the skid plate on the bottom . The leak has stoped the level is holding slightly above the maximum fill line so I will just wait and see. It is hard to say if there is a problem with the clutch. I have only had the car for a 4 months and the clutch has always felt very heavy compared to my 04 elantra GT.

·
4,637 Posts
Look carefully at the brake fluid reservoir at the bit where the feed pipe for the clutch master comes out. If the fluid level there is lower than in the rest of the reservoir, {there's just a small, maybe 1-2 cm wide section walled off around the clutch fluid outlet} it's probable that your clutch slave is leaking...

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
It certainly sounds like your slave. Its best to repair this immediately as when it actually fails it fails 100% and you will be stuck roadside or worse, completely without brakes in an instant. As well, all that leaky fluid will quickly contaminate your clutch and ratchet up your repair bill.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I made an appointment to drop it off. Hopefully the clutch action will be better when its done. I was trying to get away without spending any money on the fun car for at least a year but what the heck. I will post the results.

·
4,637 Posts
First SAAB said:
I was trying to get away without spending any money on the fun car for at least a year but what the heck.
Spend the money, keep it good. It's one of the last C900 'verts and deserves to be kept well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts