SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started having a strange problem with my Viggen. Under acceleration the rpms jump quickly but then drop. I thought it was the smbc that I had put on but I took it off and it still does it. Any ideas?

Rogo

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like a slipping clutch..I've seen it in a couple of 500Nm of torque Viggen's.
The stock clutch is not so good, valid for normal driving, but...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fromero

I'm thinking it may not be the clutch. It doesn't do it all the time. I think it may be either an air filter or plugs.

It's really a strange thing.

Rogo

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Here is a quick check to see if it's the clutch.

STEP 1: Find a stretch of open road, or a long street with no traffic. STEP 2: Bring your car up to about 20-25 miles per hour

STEP 3: Shift into 5th gear. Yes, it's too soon to shift into high gear, but that's the point of the test--to stress the clutch.

STEP 4: Press the gas firmly, as if you were accelerating onto a freeway.

STEP 5: Observe! If the engine starts to rev free, as if it were in neutral, and/or your tach spins toward redline very quickly, your clutch is slipping.

STEP 6: Observe! But if the car slowly accelerates, even if it staggers, bucks and strains, then the clutch is okay!

If your car passes this test that is not your issue. Try it and report back.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Clutch slip will occur at peak load and torque so it won't be linear at all and is highly unlikely to happen at low speed initialy. It's easy to tell if you clutch slips - rpms climb rapidly but you remain at the same speed - anything else and it's not the clutch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's why I said clutch slipping from the begining.

The symptons he describes are that. Of course, it is difficult to explain the feelings and symptoms of a problem.

Maybe check what you can, and try to explain the conditions of the failure..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had somebody tell me a good way to test a clutch was to take off from a dead stop in third. If you can do that the clutch is slipping. Don't really know how good of a test that is, but you could try it easily.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Careful footwork will allow you to take off from a dead stop in pretty much any gear. Definitely 1-4 at least, as I have done it in many cars, so I wouldn't think that is a very good test. :eek:

·
Registered
713 Posts
yea thats not a good test cuz my friend n i tried this in my car but in 5, i could do it, and he could do it in his 6 spd audi in 6th, all about foot work, and distance before letting off the cluch

·
Registered
933 Posts
LIke I said I didn't know if it was bunkem or not, just something I heard once. Now I know;oops:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I do accelerate but the rpms surge and then fall back a little to catch up with the acceleration. I'll try the 5th gear experiement tommorow. This is the original clutch and my Viggen has 130000 miles now.

Rogo

·
Registered
713 Posts
thats when the cluch went out in my car, sounds like you have a slipping cluch

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered the Viggen replacement clutch from eeuroparts. It was actually $20 cheaper than from genuine saab and they say that gs was their source. Strange.

Should I replace the slave?

Rogo

·
Registered
481 Posts
fromero said:
Sounds like a slipping clutch..I've seen it in a couple of 500Nm of torque Viggen's.
The stock clutch is not so good, valid for normal driving, but...
I do not agree. I have 54k miles on my stock original clutch and have had stage 4(approx 310-320lbs of tq to the wheels) for 25k miles and it has not slipped once. I dont do smokey launches but the car sees plenty of wheelspin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's low mileage, when you get into higher mileage with high torque..... :roll: That's why we use stage 3 or higher clutches, specially with Viggens with high torque.
My own 93 has a stock (not even Viggen) clutch and 390Nm of torque. But I am careful with my clutch, if you tend to like "takeoffs", then your clutch will degrade very fast, and slip...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today it isn't overboosting/slipping, just very quick acceleration. I tried the 5th gear pull from 30mph and it just acclerated slowly.

I'm confused now.

Rogo

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
When they say genuine Saab, they mean actual saab part.
Not nick T.
In either case, It seems you ruled clutch out before considering TB, and DBW.

Does the car act the same with traction-control off?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
99Saabnut said:
Careful footwork will allow you to take off from a dead stop in pretty much any gear. Definitely 1-4 at least, as I have done it in many cars, so I wouldn't think that is a very good test. :eek:
No, this is a very good test and the test we used at the repair shop all the time, but the way you do it is put the e-brake on and put it in third gear and give it a little gas and let the clutch out and if it does not kill the car, the clutch is slipping!!!

A very good clutch test and its fool-proof!!!

John

1 - 20 of 43 Posts