SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Saab 9-3 se 5 speed, what could be causing the car to keep revving or over rev, when I'm changing gears? Most times it will over rev but there are times when it does not and car drives fine. Is the throttle body on its way out or bad already? No check engine codes at all, not even pending and it's not going into limp mode. No vacuum leaks either.
From what I have read about the symptoms of a bad throttle body, it seems to lead me to needing a new one. I have replaced it with a used one that I had but not sure it's any good, cause I kinda recall having to change the throttle body once due to this issue on another 9-3 I had in the past but yet that one kept throwing car into limp mode. Is there a way to check the ohms or something on the throttle body? Cause cruise control doesn't work either.

Thanks for any leads in the right direction

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
You could try cleaning the living daylights out of the TB with carb cleaner, and the springs. I suppose its possible it isn't closing promptly when you lift off, although there's currently another thread about this, and it will apparently throw a code if the return spring action is weak.

If the bypass valve wasn't doing its thing promptly, that might prolong the boost supply to the TB. I've never had one fail, and don't know how to test them, but a scrapyard valve would be a cheap gamble. The valve is signalled from the three way valve on the bulkhead - that could be shot too.

·
Registered
18,006 Posts
Well known and widely reported. I had a T5 and a T7 'vert simultaneously so I can certify that it's not driving technique - the T5 would drop as expected, the T7 would overrev. S

Some say it's the TB... but most all of them do it most all the time. Never drove a T7 new so I can't testify to original conditions.

There's actually a bit in the ECU that's supposed to be disable-able but I think it's already switched off on our cars or maybe it's not in our tune. Word on the street - and by "street" I mean at Trionic Tuning - is that it's emissions related and is burning off unburnt gas when you go off throttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts