SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, where is the output shaft speed sensor located on a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE automatic transmission?

The short story: I replaced the trans after a radiator core failure dumped coolant into the trans causing error code 730 gear ratio. Had the radiator replaced and trans flushed. The car immediately provided the code again once warm and went into limp mode. At this point I should have done more research but assumed the indie Saab place I was going to knew what they were doing. I proceeded to my friends garage and had them install a new/used trans that I sourced for half what the indie guys wanted for the install and the trans. Result, the same error coming up. There are no shift errors i.e. 731,2,3,etc. are not coming up so the shift solenoids seem to be good. I replaced the trans computer still... same error (indie guys suggested this and I assumed they were stupid). So I finally say screw it and buy myself a scan tool because I’ve determined that mechanics, even the brightest ones in the DC area just want your money.

The car runs as though it is confused mathematically. If I get on the throttle it spools up, quickly engages and takes off, than immediately drops the RPMs back as if the computer is saying wait a minute you can’t do that. When it decides to shift it feels mechanically sound. Once code triggering requirements are meet for fluid temperature it goes into engine trans limp mode (not throttle body or anything of that nature). Only code I've every gotten was the gear ratio code. All the wiring seems to be legit. I suspect my scan tool that I just purchased will tell me that the output speed is way off compared to actual speed...

My understanding is that the car gets it’s speedometer information from the wheel speed sensors. The TCM uses the output speed sensor, hence the speedometer seems fine while driving around in limp mode. I figure a wheel speed sensor would be producing a different error. It doesn't feel mechanical.

What I’m wondering is the output shaft speed sensor something I can replace with some car jacks and a wrench or does the trans need to come out? Also are there a relays for input (engine drive shaft) and output speed sensors that could be broken? Or do I just look for voltage or speed off the scan tool? Am I close? Been looking everywhere for a automatic transmission schematic on this car. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SPEED SENSOR FOR TRANSMISSION SAAB 93 1998-2003 APPLICATION PART # PRICE Click to enlarge! 93 1998-2003 Speed Sensor for transmission Output Shaft OES8781932 $ 145.50

Where does it go? In the trans or a bolt on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts