SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not sure if this needs doing.... But I thinkit is a MOT fail.. I have 11 months left on the MOT and I really dont think the mot was upto standard.. it also had illegal tyres.

this is just thedrivers side, I havent had the passenger side wheel off yet.

Heres a picture of it... The gaitor is 100% gone,so...
- Can i take itout,clean it andput a new gaitor on?
- Do I need a new CV joint?
- What happens if the joint fails? could it cause an accident orjust inconvenience?
- How hard is it to replace? do I need to take the whole driveshaft off and dismantle most of the suspension?

Ive never really done any suspenstion type stuff but here is some more pictures.. the rubber mounts look bad butfromreadingthey might be easy to replace..

- Should I just take it to a garage (if it wont cost much in labour?). I am also thinking about taking the sump off since the drain plug is 100% rounded, and although its not a turbo the oil strainer might be partly clogged.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If the gaiter is torn, it can be replaced, but its a messy PITA that involves some special tools.

If its a high mileage car, the joints are probably near being worn out, so I think it makes more sense to buy a rebuilt/new axle assembly. A new one from Eeuroparts goes for about $100. Just the gaiter and incidentals is going to be about $30-40.

Taking out the old axle and replacing it takes less than one hour (if you've done it before).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
abusot said:
If the gaiter is torn, it can be replaced, but its a messy PITA that involves some special tools.

If its a high mileage car, the joints are probably near being worn out, so I think it makes more sense to buy a rebuilt/new axle assembly. A new one from Eeuroparts goes for about $100. Just the gaiter and incidentals is going to be about $30-40.

Taking out the old axle and replacing it takes less than one hour (if you've done it before).
Thanks, I have been reading about how to do this..as it will eventually need to be done :( Car has done 86k miles, I will check tomorrow if the CV joint is noticably worn by driving in circles...

I found this guide:
http://www.thesaabsite.com/9000/9000driveshafts.htm said:
Driveshaft Disassembly of Outer CV Joint or Boot:

You can easily remove the outer joints without removing the entire shafts on the 900 & 9000 cars by taking out the lower bolts in the control arm and leaving the wheel on, place a block of wood between the lower control arm and the actual wheel while popping the snap clip to all the shaft to fall out. You then can remove the joint itself while the actual shaft has fallen out of the way. The following directions are for joint removal with the shaft already out of the car.
Does that mean the outer joint & boot can be replaced without removing the whole driveshaft?

Also the haynes book states that "CV joints should be renewed as a complete assembly with the outboard driveshaft." & "CV joint, balls and outboard driveshaft should be renwed as a matched set"

Which I find a bit confusing.. if this is the case, then why do PFS, .. etc.. all sell the CV joint seperatly...

Also I havent found any mention of special tools..other than these ones I dont have.. circlip pliers (cheap..),bearing puller (is one needed?), torque wrench capable of 300nm..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shreaded my outer CV boot as well,
I decided to have the whole drive axle replaced on the Pass. side. I heard it was the best to do. You can replace just the boot, but for $90 more you can replace the whole thing... just something to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.