SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know if this would fall in the "stupid questions" thread, but I'm interested in an outdoor car cover for my 9-3. I finally grabbed a cheap high mileage car(1990 9000) to take some miles off the 9-3, but unfortunately I don't have a garage yet. So the 9-3 will be sitting outside, consistently in the sun. There's so many to choose from online I just don't really know where to start. I just need something that will protect he exterior of my car while it's sitting. Any particular brands, material, etc?

Thought I'd ask my fellow saab'ers, because saab people like to take care of their ****:cheesy:

thanks

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Unless you have problems with tree sap, bird shizz, cat claws or something other than sun I would not bother; I think a sun shade for the windows would be much easier to deal with.

I bought a cheap K-Mort and needless to say it was pretty useless and just let water get all over the car without evaporating.

Then I bought an Auto Zone best and the material was great and just like the real expensive covers.

The problem was getting real protection without the thing coming off and then what the heck to do with it when it was finally off. The big issue is tie down points.

How easy is it to get on and off? :roll:

With anything more than a gentle breeze I was chasing it down the lawn but, how the heck and what do you clip/tie/lash/secure it to without doing damage to wheels, paint, trim or whatever and the plastic "C" on the bungees were too fat to fit anything well. It ended up being a 10 minute doo-dah to use the car. The good quality one was also the size of a Fiat when bundled up, rolled or wadded and it would have taken the entire trunk. If I had a second floor condo it would have been worse lugging it up the stairs and stuff.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unless you have problems with tree sap, bird shizz, cat claws or something other than sun I would not bother; I think a sun shade for the windows would be much easier to deal with.

I bought a cheap K-Mort and needless to say it was pretty useless and just let water get all over the car without evaporating.

Then I bought an Auto Zone best and the material was great and just like the real expensive covers.

The problem was getting real protection without the thing coming off and then what the heck to do with it when it was finally off. The big issue is tie down points.

How easy is it to get on and off? :roll:

With anything more than a gentle breeze I was chasing it down the lawn but, how the heck and what do you clip/tie/lash/secure it to without doing damage to wheels, paint, trim or whatever and the plastic "C" on the bungees were too fat to fit anything well. It ended up being a 10 minute doo-dah to use the car. The good quality one was also the size of a Fiat when bundled up, rolled or wadded and it would have taken the entire trunk. If I had a second floor condo it would have been worse lugging it up the stairs and stuff.

I picked up a "4 lawyer" one from costco, and started using it today, after discovering three sap drops on my new black Aero. I will let you know how it works out, but the L size seems to be a good, snug fit, material seems to be breathable and yet water-repellent, and it secures easily to the car with two adjustable belts ran front and back underneath. Its light grey in color, which should also help with bright sunny days burning the hell out of my ride.
It took me a loong time to find out the best way to get rid of tree sap, but with a convertible, once a bird craps on the convertible top, or a pine tree decides to cry on it a bit with its sap, there is almost no cure. My old 99 vert looked pretty beat up having been parked on this spot for several years, despite my reasonable efforts! So I decided I'd be better off throwing $40 on a new cover when needed instead of worrying about tree sap and other crap.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There are some things you should be cautious about when using a cover.
The cover should be of good quality and breathable otherwise moisture gets caught underneath and this results to early corrosion of some metal parts of the car.
Another issue is the rainy days. Where will you put the wet cover and how will you dry it if you want to use the car at that day and then use the cover again at the end of the day?

A year ago I had also bought a good quality cover (custom fit to 9-3ss dimensions) but I seldom use it.
I prefer to wash the car every other weekend and wax it every 3-4 months.

Moreover, if you use a cover every day then you have to wash it every now and then because it gets really dirty. So you don't avoid "washing" anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts