SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking seriously of going in for a 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible. I test drove it at the Performance Saab in Houston and it feels great. But I have heard of a sludge problem and also this car has 87K miles on it. Plus its also out of warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Is there any extended warranty available in the market which will cover such a car with high miles.

I wonder if this is a safe investment. Will appreciate any expert opinion. Thank you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the same year. And same approx. mileage.

How much are they asking? And what is the VIN?
VIN will help in determining engine etc.

Does the dealer have it posted on web to take a look at it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yes the ad has been posted on the saab dealer's website. it was tradein by the previous owner for newer saab. i am trying to get in touch with the owner but dont know if i can or not. carfax give a good report for the car. i test drove it too over the weekend, but i think one test drive is insufficient to get any idea of how the car is. has any one had problem with a 1999 saab 9-3 convertible with high miles on it.

the dealer's webposting for this car is at http://www.ebizautos.com/performanc...7&anchor=/1999/Saab/9-3/SE-Turbo-Convertible/

will appreciate any views, suggestions. thank you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 85k on mine and it is runing great.

I had to replace the antenna mast.

LOL ... can you post the link to the website? Then people can let you know on questions to ask and if car is priced correctly.

I have had positive experiences with mine ... 3 days after I bought mine my bro bought the same thing in a different color :cool:

So, now we have SaabGarage weekends at my garage ... hehe

·
Registered
330 Posts
mushah said:
I am thinking seriously of going in for a 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible. I test drove it at the Performance Saab in Houston and it feels great. But I have heard of a sludge problem and also this car has 87K miles on it. Plus its also out of warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Is there any extended warranty available in the market which will cover such a car with high miles.

I wonder if this is a safe investment. Will appreciate any expert opinion. Thank you.
I have a 99 aswell with 110k on it and its running as well now as the day i got it. I cant talk to the convertible top though.
Check the cars history, you only have to worry about the "sludge" problem if its lived its life in very cold climates, so in texas you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the exact same car (color, model, etc). Bought it last year w/ 61,000 miles on it, and at 76,000 mi it is running like a champ! No major problems w/ the car, only a few small nuisance issues. I do have a 3rd party warranty plan that I negociated during the purchase. You will have a major service point at 90,000 miles that could cost $500-800 (if you elect to do it). The price looks pretty good. Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh... one more suggestion. See if you can find out where the car was serviced and call the dealer to see if you can get service records (ask for a technician... they are more inclined to give out this type of info). This will give you a feel for how well the car was maintained or if any major problems occurred.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
One more thing (from a 99 convertible owner).
The "sludge issue" only affected the 2000+ 9-3's....NOT the 99.
The 99 has the same exact engine and engine management system as the 900 that it replaced.
I haven't even hit 60K yet, so I can't comment on the high mileage reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts